Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Evil minion

After watching a DVD from eat3d.com, I wanted to try to make my own character in fully in zbrush. My idea was to make an enemy that would fit in a 3d beat-em-up game.

My inspiration comes from games like Ninja gaiden, Devil may cry, Painkiller etc. Everything is made in zbrush except the armor pieces. I'm going to add some additional smaller details later with a normalmap generator.

This is what the high-poly looks like:

muppwip6.jpg

Replies

• Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Cool! I cant crit without seeing the direction your taking! it kinda reminds of me of a rat...just cuz of the hand and the head :P It looks NICE ! googogog keep going :D
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Thank you Jungsik!

Trying to wrap this up so I can start preparing for DOW5 :)

Going to rig and make some crazy pose with him and a weapon later.

muppwip7.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was i the only one who thought of this when clicking on the thread?

Good readable silhouette, although it also reminds me of farcry's trigens.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah i thought the same :D
    Looks good and somehow creepy.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm calling this done. The rig for this model is awful! I really have to practice on that. I'll leave this here so I can prepare for DOW5.

Rendered with Xoliulshader of course :)

muppfront.jpg

muppback.jpg

muppcloseup.jpg

mupptext.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this, however I do think that its a shame to leave it here, as i think you can push the textures a bit more. Such as a bit more depth to his flesh, and a slight bit more grit on his tunic.

Did a paintover to show you what I mean, I hope you don't mind

w9bkea.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think it looks much, much stronger without that paintover :P
    Skintones pushed like that would make it too human and would also very likely blow it out under ingame lighting. The original look great and have a really, really nice FFXII feel to them. Congrats on a job well done!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, I stand corrected then ^_^
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good, but I think the chainmail looks a bit weird right now. Like he only has some attached to the pectorals and that's it.

If some parts are broken I think it would be hanging a little bit, following a flow sorta like: '-..__..-' Instead of:
    as it's now. Dunno if I explained myself correctly.

Also, I think something in between bbob's paintover and the original would look great. The original's skin is a bit too uniform in my opinion, and the specular make it look slightly like plastic. Not to the point where it looks bad, but it's something that can probably be fixed 'easily' and it would just make it look that bit better, imo.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    @Mik2121
    I see your pointt about the chainmail! My initial thought was to make the chainmail separately (like I did) and then move it into place later with soft selection. Unfortunately it got more deformed and streched that I expected so I kept it quite straight since I didn't know any better way at that time. I didn't want to move around eatch ring seperately since it would take way too long time.
    I've been looking around for tutorials about chainmails but haven't found any that works well... I guess some kind of physics based setting for the chainmail would turn out quite good. I don't have much experience with that kind of stuff though.

By the way, here's the wireframe if someone is interested:
    muppwire.jpg