Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Knife

Here is my first knife model I ever done!

Now that I learned a bit about Maya now, I made this Knife. I am super stoked to texture this and run it though the render.

Do you guys have any tips on how to texture and render this to make it lifelike as possible?

Thank you and I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed creating it!

kitchen_knife_by_klumpmeister-d30msh4.jpg

Replies

• Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Reference.

That's the best tip anyone can give you when it comes to texturing, look at reference. I would suggest chamfering some edges on the handle, at the moment they look quite sharp.

I would also suggest rendering it inside of a game engine, like Marmoset, UDK, or even Unity. All of them are available to use for free, and this will give you a much better render than inside Maya.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the screw/nut things are way too high poly. 5 or 6 sides would be plenty. Too many edges on top of the handle. It's basically a box with a few curves.

Image is small and more views would be helpful too.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses. The nuts on the handle do look to high poly. So I will take it down a notch. Also Chamfering the edges wouldn't be a bad Idea as well.

Thanks again for all the help!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Cool! i would also suggest that the bolts on the handle could just be a part of the texture. Rather than geometry! Lets see some textures!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Well first off all, you say you want to "make it lifelike as possible". So is this supposed to be a lowpoly asset or a cinematic prop? If you are planning on making a photorealistic render you should have a lot more edges to round off the curved areas on the knife blade and the handle. If it's supposed to be a lowpoly-asset then I think you have too many loops on the top of the knife that just don't contribute to the shape at all. Also, is it supposed to be current gen or last gen? Are you planning on hand painting the texture, or go all out with normals and spec and fancy shaders?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Also you can crop the maya interface coz we already know it and then you can make a bigger pic of the knife itself !
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I don't know the best way to show off the mesh formally so I just had the interface up too. I want it to be life like in low poly texturing. I just want this to look like a knife that would be in a game. I will also delete the bolts off the geometry after raul suggests it and its most logical in the long run.

I am loving the feedback!

If there is any unwrapping tips you all have don't hesitate to tell me.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kitchen_knife_v2_by_klumpmeister-d31npbl.jpg

Here is my updated Knife with no bracket geometry. I am wanting to texture it but am having a hard time starting it. I have Photoshop CS4 if anyone could help me out. I am also thinking of making this into a TF2 item and I want to know the TF2 art style.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.