Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Deus Ex 3 scene

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
Since I'm looking forward to Deus Ex 3, I thought I would work on a scene from the game, using this original concept:
2l8cbur.jpg

I have been blocking things out in UDK and tried to get a feel of the dimensions, gotta admit that its kinda hard with UDKs viewports, always seem things is too small or too large compared to how they are in real life size. Anyway, this is what I got so far (please don't mind the lighting/shadows):

capture_10122010_103947.jpg

capture_10122010_104041.jpg

I have a little problem figuring out what the large cylinder thing with the robotic arms is doing. Anyone got any ideas? I can see the arms can rotate around the top, but what do they DO? Can't really figure that out from the concepts I found.

capture_10122010_104116.jpg

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i cant wait to see it finished! i love the Deus Ex 3 art direction. a perfect blend of art and efficiency.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    perfect work!!
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe the cylinder is full of liquid nitrogen and the hands retrieve or deposit stuff that's to be frozen. Or maybe it's a small nuclear reactor and they're used to move the rods. Or it's some kind of futuristic archive and they bring the documents out. Or, or... :P
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I have a little problem figuring out what the large cylinder thing with the robotic arms is doing. Anyone got any ideas? I can see the arms can rotate around the top, but what do they DO? Can't really figure that out from the concepts I found.

...or maybe the concept artist threw them in there to fill the space after the art director bitched at him. ;)

Considering they're identical to the one in the back of the room that's hanging from the lower rail, I'd just call that big cylinder a combination of the robot arm control / processing computer (it runs all the different arms in the lab), and charging station, with the arms up there out of the way when they're not in use.

Throw some nifty cluttered control screens and data readouts onto a curved holographic sheet-screen on one side of the cylinder, with a keyboard and some plug jacks next to it, and call it good. :)
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaah I cant wait to play this game!!! Deus Ex series is my favorite, love the setting, the story, the gameplay, everything... I wonder what the flow of this level is like... I'm assuming you start at the bottom, and after you clear it you move upstairs since I don't see any cover upstairs... or it could be your head quarters...