Home Unreal Engine

Terrain Foliage Error

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
When adding foliage to my level, in this case grass, I get strange artifacts and color errors in my editor window. This only happens when I start to move my camera around while editing the level. When I stop moving around, the glitching and errors stop. Currently I am adding a material to my terrain, then adding foliage to the material painted on the terrain so that everywhere I have that specific terrain material, there is foliage (grass). I am using preexisting UDK content when this happens, nothing custom.

Anyone else having this problem, or found a fix for it? I'll try and record exactly whats happening if no one seems to understand...

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    ive seen video card issues before with foliage--perhaps it's that. What graphics card do you have, and can you snap a screenshot of the artifacting?
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its an utterly terrible Nvidia Quadro FX 1500M, so I'm thinking thats why I'm getting the glitching but its just strange that such an insignificant action would cause it.

Here's the video, its pretty choppy but you get the idea. All I'm doing in the video is moving around the scene. Sorry about the download, but it shouldn't take too long, the video is pretty short..

http://www.mikeyevin.com/screenerror.avi
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    well, that's screaming graphics card to me.

Try using 'Foliage factory' instead of a terrain-tied foliage and see what happens. I used to have the opposite problem (foliage tied to terrain would function ok, but foliage factory would do all sorts of fun things).

Also, you could see if it still happens in unlit mode or wire.

Also, you could update the graphics drivers, though that might cause other problems to start happening.

Sorry I'm not more help, goodluck!
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first thought was to update the drivers but to my surprise this card is no longer supported for me. Looks like thats just one more reason I should build myself a beast computer to replace this piece of junk laptop :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Try running the 32bit version and disabling HDRtonemapper in the postprocesschain.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm already running 32bit, but I tried disabling the HDRtonemapper and nothing changed. I'm going with the guess that my video card is to blame