Home Unreal Engine

difference between physx mesh and fractured mesh

Thanks for helping me with the ladder volume the other days guys.

still working hard on learning UDK. Came across Raven's tutorials on physx

He teaches about using physx to shatter the wall, and you're able to use the physics gun to throw the chunks around.

All fine and well, but i was wondering what is the difference between using physx mesh and using the fractured mesh actor?

And on that subject..Is there any way to increase the 'hardness' of the mesh being shattered? It seems that one blast of my linkgun blows half the wall away.

Another question : using the fractured mesh method, the location of the damage being caused doesnt seem to be accurate ; works even worse when you try firing at the fractured mesh using a rocket launcher. Anyone else have the same issue?

Last question : is it possible to 'bash' through walls instead of using a ranged weapon to shoot it? Any pointers for that?

thanks very much in advance :)

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Phsyx mesh uses Nvidia's Physx toolkit (which needs an NVIDIA GPU) while I think the fractured mesh actor is something like a voronoi generator that handles the physics of each broken part. Unsure if fractured mesh actor uses the GPU to handle the physics or CPU. Havent gone a lot into using fractured meshes so cant answer the hardness of the mesh but you could try decreasing the number of chunks. Also what exactly do you mean by bash? Do you mean like running into a wall and the wall breaking?
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply haiddasalami
    So you are saying that if the player doesnt have a Nividia card, he/she wouldnt be able to see the phsyx mesh interaction?

running into a wall and the wall breaking would be exactly what i meant. Or using a melee function that could break the wall into chunks. Generally any method that does NOT require the use of a ranged weapon.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    ihour wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply haiddasalami
    So you are saying that if the player doesnt have a Nividia card, he/she wouldnt be able to see the phsyx mesh interaction?

running into a wall and the wall breaking would be exactly what i meant. Or using a melee function that could break the wall into chunks. Generally any method that does NOT require the use of a ranged weapon.

I guess I could follow Raven's tutorials and see if anything happens. Theoretically the physics should still happen it would just be slow.
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok..thanks for the replies haiddasalami
    i'll continue studying UDK :)