Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Is there a quick easy way to model this shape?

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, I was just wondering. Is there a quick way to model this shape? It's the only one I find that consistently crops up in my work that always stumps me with how long it takes to do compared to other shapes. I often find myself modeling something from a completely flat plane that I shelled, and have to reduce the level or height or whatever, but it's really not easy to do compared to extrusions.

Is there like some tool or reverse extrusion/intrusion that can quickly move a face down like this? I always find it takes much much longer and lots of cleaning up afterwards to bring face down like this then it does ti simply extrude.

Some examples of what I mean:

imageshacknl.png
boxes.png

Picitured below: Ways that don't work but I wish they did.

otherway.png

intrusion.png

Replies

• Contrails
    Might not be the most efficient way but the way I do it is select the edges around the faces, hit connect (which cuts them in half), and extrude the half I want.
  • madmuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Contrails wrote: »
    Might not be the most efficient way but the way I do it is select the edges around the faces, hit connect (which cuts them in half), and extrude the half I want.

Yeah I do that sometimes but my main issue is that I like to do the whole model with a flat plane and then downstrude or whatever the shapes, so there is already mesh where I could be connecting and extruding that would have to be deleted and then filled back in.
  • Der Hollander
    I would just build the two pieces separately and connect them later once once you have the shapes exactly how you want them. Personally I wouldn't even go that far and I'd just leave the two shapes separate unless they really needed to blend together.

For that top green box problem, it looks like you could just connect the two top verts and you'd be golden. I can't say if that would work well on a more complex mesh or not.