Home General Discussion

Moving to Nottingham (UK), any advices?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
I guess the title says everything~
I'm moving to Nottingham from Paris to join Crytek UK as environment artist.
As I need to find an accommodation (they're helping me, but help doesn't mean that they should do all the work for me :p), I was wondering if there was someone from polycount around there or even at Crytek UK who would have some advices about places to avoid (seems that this city doesn't have the best reputation) or places to go, or even any useful stuff to know around there ~

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, if you see any chavs, throw bricks at them.

or, in short, the first person that says "innit", be sure to give them a swift kick in the balls.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Im living in Nottingham, its not as bad as they say, but brace yourself :)

I guess the areas you should avoid are St Anns, the Medows, Sneinton.

Crytek is pretty centrally located so a good place to look at if you fancy central living is The Lace Market / Hockley area.

Outside center, West Bridgeford and Willford Village are real nice areas.

let me know when your in town and we can meet up for some cultural exchange! (beer)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    They have a Crytek based in Nottingham...? Well, you learn something new everyday, Ialways thought it was Denmark or someplace they drink beer out of shoes?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Nice places in Nottingham inlcude Beeston( fairly studenty), Sherwood, West Bridgford. Avoid St.Anns at all costs:0
    I am actually moving up there myself shortly, London just became too dear of late.
    Rents in nottingham are pretty cheap. I used to rent a 3 bed house with a garden for about 550 pounds per month.

Driving up tomorrow for a look see.
    The city centre is a nice place to hang out.It's good for shopping and eating out/drinking. We used to drink in the pit and pendulum and the social:)

There are rough areas , but most cities have rough areas anyway these days.

I am up for a few beers when I move there, if anyone fancies that:)
    Massbot, did you get a job at crytek or perhaps monumnetal?
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    I moved from London to Nottingham and I'm really enjoying it here.

If you can get a place closest to the centre as possible then I reckon most places are ok. I second the lace market, prices seem reasonable but dunno if that's because I've moved from expensive London.

I live smack bang in the town centre (over looking the big fountain woo!)

Ahh cool Johnny, glad to hear there's some other polycounters here. We should get some beers going when you arrive :P
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Hey EzMeow, when do you start? I just got a job there too as a 2D Artist :) We should meet up some time! I start in a couple of weeks. Same goes for you JohnnyRaptor! I need fwends!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We should get some beers going when you arrive :P
    Well now I'm gonna shock everyone here.... I don't drink beer xD (Yeah it's a shame) but my girlfriend do, so she'll drink for the both of us :p
    imyj wrote: »
    Hey EzMeow, when do you start? I just got a job there too as a 2D Artist :) We should meet up some time! I start in a couple of weeks.

I should start on the 25th october, I just need the flat now u.u;;;;;
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Yes, if you see any chavs, throw bricks at them.

or, in short, the first person that says "innit", be sure to give them a swift kick in the balls.

=]
    No words. Just =]

Chavs are an abomination here in Scotland!
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    EzMeow wrote: »
    I should start on the 25th october, I just need the flat now u.u;;;;;

I was recommended the "Hicking building" at first, but couldn't get a flat there. It's a bad time to find a nice place since university just started back. You could try: http://www.martinco.com/
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been advise the same building, but isn't it situated near the meadow where JohnnyRaptor said it was a place to avoid? >.<
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Umm I can't imagine so? It's pretty much just over the road from the Crytek building? :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote:
    All hoops though innit?

Throw bricks at Odium!
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Yea let me know when you are up here Ruz! I joined Outso by the way, enjoying my time here so far :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sent you a PM Massbot - congrats on the new role BTW:)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    odium wrote: »
    They have a Crytek based in Nottingham...? Well, you learn something new everyday, Ialways thought it was Denmark or someplace they drink beer out of shoes?

Your avatar just freaked me out.

" Did that guy just wink at me? I must be going crazy" *looks away for a sec*
    " IT HAPPENED AGAIN!"
    *Stares intently at screen*
    *wink*
    " You sneaky little bastard you" :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    The University chicks there are hot but mostly studying something inane like media studies or some shit.. still that doesnt matter when they are wearing their ankles for earrings

I know because I married one xD
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    We should organise a polycount meet-up in Nottingham :D
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    wait so how many of u guys are actually in nottingham?! :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I hope you will all make fun of his silly french accent!

Damn traitor. ;D
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doh! >.<...I'm sure they're "hearing" it through the grammar of my posts anyway u.u;;;
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    imyj wrote: »
    We should organise a polycount meet-up in Nottingham :D

Definitely, would be cool to tag along. I always need more excuses to venture south of manchester ;D
  • Newbold147
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, Ive been following these forums for awhile now just never had an account. Just wanted to say im originally from Nottingham but moved to Bradford for University. Nottinghams really nice! Its alot nicer than people say it is, I was pretty sure that crytek was near Long Eaton tho? Just of the M1? Ive lived in Long Eaton all my life since moving upto Bradford and shall be moving back after i graduate this year. Long Eatons SO nice and also close to Derby which is also a nice city. Good luck with it all! Im VERY Jealous as this is the first place i was going to apply for a 3d Environment artist job at! Enjoy yourself.... AVOID ST ANN'S at all costs!
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Flynny wrote: »
    Definitely, would be cool to tag along. I always need more excuses to venture south of manchester ;D

Nice :D I know a guy called Mike who just got hired at TT, bring him with you! :D
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Nottingham's not so bad. The city centre can feel a little rough on a Friday/Saturday night, but there are some great places to go out. Hockley/LAce MArket area is really nice (broadway cinema is great) and there a couple of gems elsewhere like the Malt Cross pub just off the square. There was a real surplus of apartment accomodation in the city centre area until recently so I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding somewhere in a decent location. Also, West Bridgford's nice and pretty convenient for the Crytek studio I think.

Have fun there - I used to work with a lot of those guys when it was FRD and they're a really good bunch of people.
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    go to Sherwood forest, i'm named after the place and haven't ever been lol :(

EzMeow i don't drink either, everyone always thinks im weird lol
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't buy your wardrobe from IKEA.