Home Unreal Engine

ladder volume in UDK

hi guys
just to pop my head in head again ( i've been lurking on all sorts of forums reading and trying to absorb information )

something i cant figure out. Ladder volumes. i've watched Raven's tutorials, read a lot of forums posts about people having trouble with them but i cant seem to find someone else posting about the same problem i have.

rotating the vector of the ladder in properties supposedly helps the player to climb up the ladder.
BUT when i build AI paths or rebuild all, the vector goes back to pointing in completely the wrong direction.

for example : creating a ladder volume, build AI paths, the arrow vector would point to the left, when i want it to point (as i understand it) towards the player

so i go to the properties editor, and change the yaw of the vector. It changes direction, as expected.

BUT when i build AI paths or do a build all, the vectors snap back to pointing to the left. And i still cant climb up the ladder.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what im doing wrong here?

thanks very much.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Last time I dealt with ladders in UDK, they either did not work or crashed. I've searched the Unreal forums and have seen the same questions posted unanswered since, maybe, December build.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm I swear I got ladders working in December build or maybe it was November. Ill try and post if anything happens.
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    There was a bug with the ladders in UT3 with the direction as it was not possible to set at all. I haven't checked in UDK yet but it may be the same bug still only not showing up exactly the same. The fix was a line or two in the ladder volume class.
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar wrote: »
    The fix was a line or two in the ladder volume class.

dont understand what you meant by that..so..is there a fix for this?:)
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    I just tested the ladders real quick and they work fine to me. This was in the august build though so maybe they are broke in the September build?

UDK does not have the issue I mentioned in my earlier post. If I remeber correctly in UT3 you could see the wall direction but you couldn't edit it.

I think this might be your problem
    ... towards the player ...

The wall dir should point towards the wall not the player.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry took a while getting back. Fifa came in and had some work for college. Anywho yeah I tried ladders and they just crash on me. Maybe Epic has removed it and its now legacy? Running on August Build

EDIT: Got it working but I had to move the brush. Anytime I try to change the direction, it crashes on play. PS Parkar is right. The direction has to face the object and not the player.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, if this is working, I'm moving an old map to a different build so i can finally play it. :P

EDIT: great! it does work. Though my computer did blue screen a minute later which is never does. Could be unrelated.
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally got it to work. To report a newbie's mistake : The ladder volume ( that pink box ) has a large pink arrow. Change the wall dir to face towards the wall.
    What i tried previously was to change the yaw of the little ladder icons to point towards the wall, which reset back to point towards the left AFTER building.

what i dont understand though...is why would the ladder volume always point towards the left?
    and what does the rotation of the little ladder icons do?

case resolved, and a lesson learnt. :)