Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marathon Fusion Pistol

Hello, My name is Christian Klump and This my first post for polycount. I am fairly new to Maya so I hope this project will be a learning experience. I look forward to seeing your tips to help me finish this 3D model.

The first picture is the reference I used to make the basic mesh. I photoshopped it further so i can get the scale correct in Maya. The next picture is my screen on my TV I use as a monitor. The screen is my current progress of the Fusion Pistol I am creating.

The problems I face is how to mold this object more. As you can see I moved some verities and that created a shadow on my mesh. I'm still pretty new to Maya and any help would be very helpful.

Thank you and I hope with all your help and guidance I can see this project done.

Klumpmeister

M2.02.2.1.1.gif

marathon_fusion_pistol_by_klumpmeister-d3005t5.png

Replies

• Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    wow, your Maya is really cluttered.

Nothing to critique yet because you're like 15 minutes into the project. Work on it more.

Good luck
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    For the state the model is in, you have much to many vertices, I think. Start with a basic blockout to get the major forms right, before going into detail.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I am really new to the whole thing. I do have way to many vertices but I found it difficult to get the basic form out without having enough vertices to make it with.

Also I saw earlier that there is a top side to the reference to get the slender shape of the pistol.

So far all the tips are helping out. Thanks guys!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    u dont have to model everything as one piece.u can seperate the clip and the body of the gun itself.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man good effort so far!. How much time have you spent getting to know Maya, and modeling work flow? I ask because if your completely new to this you may want to put some time into tutorials, there are a ton out there and look for one that is a beginner level tutorial. You should be able to find one that kinda lines up with what you are doing ex. How to create a gun or anything that is hard surfaced. It will introduce good work flow you will begin to see how some things should be one piece and other separate pieces. Most importantly you wont have to bang your head against a wall trying to figure things out, you'll will be able to enjoy the process more and it will be a bit more fluid for you. Just my 2 cents which is really only worth 1/2 cent.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is what I did at a summer program. I am pretty new to it and have been looking into tutorials but thought I should stop watching and start doing.

crate_with_lid_by_klumpmeister-d2xko9f.jpg
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're running into a common problem amongst beginners, they treat the model as a silhouette rather than 3D geometry.
    What I think you need to do is to forget the outline for now and start building the contours and whatnot by extracting edges, not making a bulky silhouette and trying to beat some shape to it.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What method of modeling do you recommend instead of what I got already?
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    model it in pieces dude. Think of it like it would be made in factory. One piece at a time. Work each shape out rough, then refine it till you get the nooks and crannies of its form.

There are tons of materials on how to model out there, just do some research, and once you're comfortable with what you gleen, go for it.