Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

beat up old leather chair

snoops3d
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone I’m working on this old leather chair, C&C welcome!! It will be part of a small scene when all is said and done. I want it to be in an old abandoned house where it was frequently used hobos passing through. I figured I would add an old partially eaten can of beans lying on floor and worn out hat over the arm, anyway you get the idea. Thanks for looking!!

Replies

• trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Weirdly, when I see this I don't think of an abandoned house, but rather the well worn chair of a day laborer in some unknown East European country. I can easily imagine seeing the guy laid back in this chair - old cap over his eyes - as he tries to get his last few minutes of rest before a long day of work.

Excellent work so far. I'm sure it'll be great no matter where you take it.

- I think the reason I thought about that is the little pot. That pot says someone still cares about and sits in that chair, dispite how worn out it is. In a truly abandoned house, the chair could have just as easily be leaning and the pot could perhaps have slid from under it... laying in a thick pile of dust to the side.
  • SadamHu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thats one very nicely detailed Chair you have there, well done!
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    awesome modeling
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work. Only crit would be that you may have gone a little far with the collapsed cushion. Its a big crater that! great stuff tho :D
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    @ Wombatinahat I think it would go like that if all the springs and stuff were busted underneath.

Great chair. Has a lot of character for an inanimate object. Love the pot under the leg. Great detail. My only crit would be trying to make sure that the different layers of material are clearly defined and look like separate layers. If you look at the area with the exposed wood on the arm of the chair you've got 4 or so layers of different materials that, to me, are starting to just melt together a bit. That said the texture will probably help with that.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    I have to agree with Wombatinahat, but everything else is stunning man.. very nicely realized. The only other thing that's throwing me off is the large tear in the back rest... it just doesn't read like the other tears, it's possibly due to the fact that the edges are smooth and somewhat rounded as opposed to being jagged from a tear or even sharp from a cut. Incredible piece at any rate.

~t
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Wombatinahat: yeah I have heard that from a few people probably need to lighten it up a bit.
    grimmrobe: Yeah your 100% correct on the layered details, Im hoping that the texture/material pass will cause those details to pop!
    lildragn: your the second person to comment on that, I guess I need to look at somemore tear rep and rework that area a bit.
    thanks again guys for taking the time to look and comment!!!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snoops this looks fantastic. Really love all the details. I'm looking forward to seeing this textured. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to sculpt this?
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks absolutely fantastic. I'd really love to see a matching couch or loveseat in the scene.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.turtlepaste: thanks, it took me longer than I would like to admit to, the intent of this project was to do material study where the details that make leather look and feel like leather would be communicated in the high poly model with no color info.

GoodDreams: thanks, I might add that as i finish out the micro environment.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    this looks awesome! i'd love to know your process! (even a quick one :P)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Any chance you could do a video capture of your workflow, with a quick example of a small torn area to show the multi-layer work? This is some really slick sculpting.
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, very nice detailing. Will you be baking this on a low-poly version or is it going to be a pretty high-poly scene?
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys sorry for the late reply!!

Snow: I can try to put up something but it will be a awhile before I can really do that only because Im swamped right now.
    GarageBay9: I can try but really theres nothing that has not already been posted numerous times, I did check out this tutorial which is short, sweet and packed with goodness
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showpost.php?p=684124&postcount=577

Deceiver: Yeah I will be baking it to a low-poly model it will be par tof a small scene, but all the scene details will have highpoly sculpts