Home Unreal Engine

Directional Light not lighting

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
So I'm brand new to UDK so excuse my noobness here, but I cant find an answer to this anywhere.

I'm trying to set up a directional light, and when I place one, initially its lighting up the scene and casting realtime shadows, but as soon as I build my lighting (with or without lightmass), it goes completely black as if there was no light in the scene.

Can anyone shed any light (hur hur) on this for me?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Plenty of things can cause this. Skybox casting shadows, lighting build "selected only" check and nothing selected, and so on. Pics help.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cholden thanks for getting back to me so quick.

So basically I set up a brand new scene with all default settings. Subtracted out level space, added a single UDK mesh, and added the directional light. I then built the lighting and it goes straight to black.

Here's pics.

Ineedshelp.jpg
    Ineedshelp02.jpg

I'm guessing Im just missing some sort of check box someplace. None of the other lights seem to have this problem.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Subtracted out, so you have a ceiling. Directional lights work like the sun. They're position in the world does not matter, only the direction. It's like the sun trying to light the inside of a cave in your scene right now.

What you need is a point light, but I would suggest starting a new scene, ADD a brush and place your assets with a dominant directional light.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, yea that totally works now. Thanks.

So, unfortunately I have a whole bunch of assets placed in another level that is a subtracted level. Is there anyway to essentially merge all my placed static meshes into another level that is now additive instead of subtractive?
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems I was able to export the static meshes out as a .t3d and was able to merge them into a new scene. So hopefully all is well!

Thanks a bunch cholden.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    You can also select all smeshes, hit ctrl+c (copy) and then open the new level and paste them there ;)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha, I dont know why I didnt try that to begin with.

Thanks xendance.