Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Female Character and Scene

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pogo_Daddy polycounter lvl 14
Hellooo. My name's Kate, and I'm new to polycount. I made this account a little while ago but this is my first "real" post. I'm currently in college for game development, so all of my posts untill April will probably be school assignments unless I start some of my own stuff over the holiday :]

For modelling we have to create a character that matches a scene from our level design class. My character and level are inspired by mass effect.

This is the drawing I submitted which I've been modelling from. I don't have too much of a back story for her. She has bark like hair and thin nostrils that close up in environments she's not used to (that's why she has tubey things). I know her lower back/butt/upper theigh is messed up in the side view, but I think I fixed that up in bit in the actual model.

We're using the male rig from UDK, so my character needs a chunky shoulder.

Characterfront2.jpg

We also had to design a weapon for our character, though I don't believe we'll be modelling it. I've never felt comfortable drawing/designing something when I don't fully understand how it functions

gun3.jpg

I'll post my models and scene a bit later since I don't have those files on me right now.

Replies

• Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    before you do that, maybe you should try and do more to make it look less like you just stuck a bunch of stuff to the poor thing's head to call it an alien. right now it's... well, it's just a person with a deformed head.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    before you do that, maybe you should try and do more to make it look less like you just stuck a bunch of stuff to the poor thing's head to call it an alien. right now it's... well, it's just a person with a deformed head.

Say that to Bioware and the Asari dude. Geez. And look up the word "Alien" okay?

Hey Kate, good start you might want to spend some more time on the proportions right now they look a bit weird, it'll be worth to spend more time in the concepting-stages before you start modeling. Mainly because in the end most 3d-work is all about planning and workflow. :)
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Say that to Bioware and the Asari dude. Geez. And look up the word "Alien" okay?

Hey Kate, good start you might want to spend some more time on the proportions right now they look a bit weird, it'll be worth to spend more time in the concepting-stages before you start modeling. Mainly because in the end most 3d-work is all about planning and workflow. :)

Thanks. I would have liked to work on the concept more the concept too. My teachers tend to preach about how important preproduction is, but it doesn't show in the amount of time they give to us for it. I'll be redrawing this when I have some extra time :]

To be fair to the program I do have a bad habit of either drawing something once, or sticking to my original Idea D:
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Body so far. We have a limit of 6000 tris. The shoulder armor is more of a place holder right now. I'm having diffeculty with the boots. I'll be bringing that model into Zbrush so I'm avoiding all triangles. I'm using Maya 2011.

turn1.jpg
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I built the hand seperately

hand.jpg
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attached hands

eb03f9db.jpg

and sssuuuuper ugly wrist. Because I made the hand seperately it ended up being more dense and im having a hard time cleaning it up and making it purdy.

7c1467be.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Weop! looking good kate!
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Proportions are a bit wonky.

Also, she's going to tip over backwards.
    You want a more S shaped curve going her body.

I'm a bit stressed for time so I couldn't find a good ref for you.
    But this image has some of this going on.
    http://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/images/Section03/Image66.gif
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried reshaping the body to look a bit more natural and balanced like kodde suggested. Thanks :]

0358417b.jpg
  • WhiteRavenAnim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteRavenAnim polycounter lvl 11
    Good progress so far.

Only one crit I'd like to make: be careful about having the arms come straight out as they are, now. If this were a character that would be rigged/skinned/animated, getting a flexing shoulder-elbow-wrist skeletal system going in arms that are straight out like they are now...would not end well.

Put a *subtle*, slightly relaxed bend in, at the elbow. ^^
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress so far.

Only one crit I'd like to make: be careful about having the arms come straight out as they are, now. If this were a character that would be rigged/skinned/animated, getting a flexing shoulder-elbow-wrist skeletal system going in arms that are straight out like they are now...would not end well.

Put a *subtle*, slightly relaxed bend in, at the elbow. ^^

Yeah, I usually start out with the arms straight out so modelling's easier and then move them later. I've never put a bend in the elbow though, so I'll make sure to this time :]
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18

I don't like bioware :D
    The second part of your statement doesn't really make sense anyway.
  • WhiteRavenAnim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteRavenAnim polycounter lvl 11
    Pogo_Daddy wrote: »
    ...I've never put a bend in the elbow though, so I'll make sure to this time :]

A quick'n'dirty way to do it would be to grab all of your vertices that make up the forearm and hand, change to your rotate tool, place your pivot point to (roughly) the center of your shoulder/deltoid region, and give it a slight rotation.

A few individual verts at the elbow-forearm region may need some tweaking from there, but it'll go fast. ^^
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick'n'dirty way to do it would be to grab all of your vertices that make up the forearm and hand, change to your rotate tool, place your pivot point to (roughly) the center of your shoulder/deltoid region, and give it a slight rotation.

A few individual verts at the elbow-forearm region may need some tweaking from there, but it'll go fast. ^^

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like bioware :D
    The second part of your statement doesn't really make sense anyway.

Well, an alien can look however the artist want it to look, it's an alien. They don't have to look that different from humans at all and can still be alien. You coming in saying that it needs change without valid reason or actually suggesting anything valuable is not really the way of good crit.
    Pogo_Daddy wrote: »
    Tried reshaping the body to look a bit more natural and balanced like kodde suggested. Thanks :]

The body still looks a bit stiff, you might want to move some vertices around to make her look more flexible. Here is a image of want I mean

construct.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    But you have to be careful, too much pre-bend on the back can make you model looks weird when you actually rig her and bend her body forward (on the spine)..just make sure its just 'enough' pre-bend on the back :) you can also pre-bend the elbow and knee, make it looks more relax in position.

Another thing, for me her leg is kinda too big..usually female will have skinnier and longer leg, but if you intended to give her a thick armor, well that's a different story..heheh
    From the side view you can't really tell from the silhouette whether its a male or female, boobs doesn't help either cus you have the collar thingy, for a second it looks she has flat-chest.

_Revel
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried making the character look more flexible. I'll be repositioning the arms and bending the elbows later

Thanks chrisradsby and Revel :}

fbe6028b.jpg

Still working on the head
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really like the face as it is right now. I'm still working on it but figured I should post it as it is now anyways

bcca9f17.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making dinner so I did a quick paintover for my crit

qqxsus.jpg

If you have the money buy the book The Art of Mass Effect, brilliant stuff in there :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember to get some shape in for the muscles under the armpits. It looks a bit weird but you''re on your way! xD Good luck!
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm making dinner so I did a quick paintover for my crit

If you have the money buy the book The Art of Mass Effect, brilliant stuff in there :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and remember to get some shape in for the muscles under the armpits. It looks a bit weird but you''re on your way! xD Good luck!

I'll have to look into it then. Thanks a bunch :}
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7

mars_attacks.jpg
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model ajusted after crits by JasonlLavoie and chrisradsby :)
    Thanks

bc815132.jpg
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Quick paint over, over your latest update.

bc815132edit.jpg

On the first image, notice the muscle that chrisradsby told you before. And the second one, your model looks hunchback at the moment, push it in a little bit and you're good to go! :)

_Revel
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Pogo--

first, welcome aboard. It's always nice when folks come out of the woodwork.

second, you mentioned that this is a school assignment, so how long do you have to work on it? 6000 tris means you can cram a lot of detail in there if you have time and patience for it, so giving us a time frame will help properly gauge our feedback. I'm not going to harp on the abdominal muscles if you only have 10 hours to finish :D

So, starting from scratch-- creating a concept and going all the way to finished model-- is a difficult task, especially the first couple times around, but there are some tricks that'll help you avoid a lot of pitfalls, and in the end make the project more fruitful.

First off, you never want to concept from an orthographic perspective. It seems easier, but the results tend to be far less dynamic, and you miss out on opportunities to explore the character (developing personality is extremely difficult when they're stuck spread eagle :)). The best way to start is from thumbnails or silhouettes, and move on to rendering a 3/4's view where you really start to flesh out the character. From there you can build the ortho and in turn begin work on the model. Paul Richards' Thumb War post is an excellent illustration of this process, and gauss has a great 2-parter on character design and visual clarity. part I part II

Make time to read these.

Right now, your character suffers from the fact that she's readily interchangeable with a dozen other sci-fi lady-aliens. If you're going to stick with human anatomy then have some fun with the armor, and get out of your comfort zone. Look at the Tank from Monday Night Combat; he's basically wearing a banana suit. It's ridiculous but is immediately recognizable and reads well from a distance. You don't have to go that extreme but you get the idea. Mass Effect did a similar thing in designing the Krogans. In fact if you look at any of the Mass Effect species you'll notice how they all have distinct silhouettes. If you're using the ME universe as a point of departure, make sure your profile is distinct from the rest.

And what's the deal with the underboob? There's no reason for it. If this armor serves some kind of hazmat function as you're indicating with the breathing tubes, then make it functional and comfortable; she's probably wearing it all the time. When designing imaginary materials it's important to start from a knowledge of real-world objects. This helps ground your ideas and encourage originality.

Take for example your breathing tubes-- the technical term is a nasal cannula, and there's a reason why the lines always run over the ears before entering the nose-- it's less obtrusive than up the front and the lines are more secure that way. The nose plugs from Battlefield Earth, while visually interesting, are hilariously impractical, constantly flopping around on the actors' mouths, and basically look like giant lines of snot. There are other interesting ways of doing a nasal cannula that are still functional, and you can use these as a point of departure when designing your character.

This may all seem on the nit-picky side of things, but it's this kind of attention to detail that helps separate good designers from great ones. Cultivating a strong understanding of real world objects and materials will take your concepts and models miles further than they would normally have gone.

You've already improved your model's anatomy significantly, but there are still some issues. Admittedly it's an early stage, so that may account for part of it, but it's good to talk through everything regardless.

The neck is too robust; right now it looks like the muscles are flexing, creating more of a triangular shape instead of a cylinder. When constructing that area it helps to think of the neck as a cylinder plugging into the ribcage with the trapezius lining the back side (that's what forms those pits above the clavicle).

The arms and torso are missing a lot of muscular structure, particularly along the shoulder and breast area. The deltoid is what forms the 'lump' of the shoulder, with the pectoral muscle feeding into it from the front and the latissimus dorsi feeding into it from the back. Right now you have the upper arm just socketing into the ribcage without any indication of that connective tissue.

As Revel indicated you're accentuating the spinal curvature too much and consequently giving your female an extremely deep chest. This model (NSFW) is leaning forward a bit and has a pretty flat spine, but should still give you a better idea of what to work from. Note also how the breasts actually curve outward and don't simply project straight out of the chest.

Another point is that you're shortchanging both the ribcage and the ilium/iliac crest, resulting in an exaggerated corridor between the bottom of the cage and the top of the pelvis. The 'hourglass' of the female figure is neither as smooth nor as elongate as you have it in your model-- the pinch happens in the space between the ribcage and the pelvis (though this image is a bit off as the model is bending her arms somewhat), which is a surprisingly narrow band of a few inches(notice how if you bend sideways above the hip you can actually feel your ribs hitting the top of your pelvis). In relaxed, standing posture the elbow joint, navel and top of the ilium will be roughly along the same line, above which you'll find the hourglass pinch and then the ribcage.

Last, take some time to look at the structure of the thigh-- there's a lot more complexity there than a simple ovoid shape, though you've got a pretty decent start on the side profile. Having even a cursory knowledge of the muscle and bone structure will make a big difference, and is something to cultivate over the course of your career.

Oh, and I did a couple quick doodles to help emphasize the point about silhouettes and changing up the armor shape, though it was more oriented around the head/helmet.

Whew. I realize this a pretty lengthy post, for which I apologize, but there's a lot to cram in for you and anyone else at this stage. I hope this helps, and good luck.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    That was a long post wake, but hell it really nice and helpful!..i found a lot of good tips here, thanks for sharing..I hope OP also learn something good from your post too!

Cheers!
    _Revel
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Whao, I'm not even really involved in this thread but that is all some really useful stuff for character design in general. You could practically write a tutorial on the stuff. Good stuff!
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have till October 15th to model, sculpt, and teutre (diffuse, normal, and specular).

I'm currently at 5786 tris.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Daaammnn wake :) Awesome break down buddy, I defiantly picked up some tips from that post, thank ya :)

Weop weop, each update is getting better and better Kate :)
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wake - Very long post haha, but all of it was extremely useful. Thanks
    @Revel - Thanks for the paintover ;D

Here's my changes after reading both posts

c394aad5.jpg

Thanks Jay :}
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, due date's comming up so I needed to UVMap this thing and I just started sculpting. I'm not happy with it so far. The nose is bugging me and I know the brows are a bit too big. It's super early in, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it. Quick post since I don't have a lot of time.

5401bd52.jpg
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    069325fa.jpg

I'm still open to crits in my model. Even though I'm "done" with it now, I'm pretty sure I have a portfolio class next semester where we have to fix up our older work.

Here's my base sculpt for the head
    Top row has perspective on
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Good progress Pogo_Daddy! Im just posting because Im very impressed by the polycount community right now! All helpful tips and insights from everybody! There is no faster or better way to learn than right here! Yeh well thats all from me... :P
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Wow, that's a pretty nice rendering style, cel-shade..is that a real time viewport grab?
    Question, why did you make the skin color on her head and her hand/ legs is different?..and the armor piece that cover her breast is also a skin color, which from far people might mistakenly think that she actually "show off", no? And currently the quality of the texture in the lower body seems like not as good as the upper body.

But overall nice update!

..and..

...you might want to fix the texture seams on her hand before post an image that BIG hehehh :poly124:

_Revel
  • Melrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The piece is coming along very nicely, looking forward to more
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    Wow, that's a pretty nice rendering style, cel-shade..is that a real time viewport grab?
    Question, why did you make the skin color on her head and her hand/ legs is different?..and the armor piece that cover her breast is also a skin color, which from far people might mistakenly think that she actually "show off", no? And currently the quality of the texture in the lower body seems like not as good as the upper body.

But overall nice update!

..and..

...you might want to fix the texture seams on her hand before post an image that BIG hehehh :poly124:

_Revel

Yuh, my UV map could have been better, I noticed it too, so I might redo all my texturing in my Portfolio class. The brown is not skin, it's armor, I guess I just made it a little too close to the color of her hair.

And yus, it's realtime viewport
  • Jonathan Marshall
    Very straight legs.

Very Mass Effect though. Good representation of the style, you're aiming really high, so don't be surprised that people could crit. you more harshly because they're going to hold it to one of the highest standards in the business.
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very straight legs.

Very Mass Effect though. Good representation of the style, you're aiming really high, so don't be surprised that people could crit. you more harshly because they're going to hold it to one of the highest standards in the business.

All crits are welcome here, whether they're harsh or not :]