Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Baking Displacement / matcap to diffuse.

quick tech question, how do I do the displacement map / matcap baking described in this video http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/zbrush/baking/ in zb3 r3, I was following the tutorial but zb wasnt doing the same things for me as it was the tutorial maker because of the different versions, was the workflow for doing this reduced in zb3 r3?

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The only difference I notice is that the displacement map palette has changed a bit. Now you load the displacement map in there, change the intensity, and have to hit 'apply dismap' for it to be applied. The rest of the video should still apply.
    zb_displacement.jpg

There is a new option now with Spotlight. Basically export the document with the matcap you want, add the image to spotlight, and project it back onto the model as polypaint.
    spotlight_matcap.jpg

Zapplink can probably work the same way.
  • achillesian
    still no luck with the tutorial, when i get to the point where i make the plane a polymesh 3d, the texture, and displace wont show up on it... hope ztool is backwards compatible to 3.1,

the spotlight thing works but its kind of a pain lining up the image... i wish they could just 1 button this workflow, its absolutely a great workflow for people who want a start on hand painting without painting.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What are the exact steps you're taking to try and displace the plane? Are you subdividing it enough so that it even has the geometry to displace?

Spotlight shouldn't need to be realigned if you don't move the camera after exporting the document.
  • achillesian
    the tutorial doesn't have you subdivide anything, grr, and the image isnt lined up perfect at re-import with spotlight on my computer at least