* 1GHz dual-core CPU
* 1GB of RAM
* an e-reader application
* tethering to a Blackberry phone
* Runs Flash 10.1 and HTML 5
* 3MP front camera
* 5MP rear-facing camera
* HDMI connection

The Blackberry Playbook is scheduled to be available early in 2011 for the USA and in the second quarter for other countries.

Replies

• Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    5 bucks on this will cost close to 1200-1500$ in Denmark, but damn that looks awesome. This is how the iPad should have been.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I would not mind rocking one of those in public. For some reason having an Apple product out makes me feel like an asshat. I bet this will allow a stylus.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On paper the specs look great, and if it does feature what it says it will feature then it will be awesome.

Two things concern me however, firstly is the interface and user experience. I'm yet to see RIM get this right. Current BlackBerry OS examples are horrible, especially when compared to the likes of Android and iOS. Let's hope they can pull off something good with this. Or it'll be like all other RIM products, solid functional industrial design with a promising feature set, let down by a UI so utilitarian and clunky that only the suits they're marketed at can justify it.

Which leads me to my next concern; there's a lot of enterprise hype over this which means it'll likely be priced at least double what the iPad sells for just because they can. Price it stupidly and then just say 'yeah but it's an enterprise device'.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though, if it does what they say it does then the elephant in the room might finally be headed home.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Lamont wrote: »
    I would not mind rocking one of those in public. For some reason having an Apple product out makes me feel like an asshat. I bet this will allow a stylus.

the effect of any mac product.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the effect of any mac product.

Careful man, don't turn this into one of those threads, it would actually be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the Playbook rather than whether they're Mac or PC.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    il wait for htc.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what I want to know is "can I draw on it" ie with a pressure sensitive stylus. if yes then its pretty cool
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ged wrote: »
    what I want to know is "can I draw on it" ie with a pressure sensitive stylus. if yes then its pretty cool

Agreed. If a tablet comes about that runs software such as PS and has pressure sensitivity. I'll buy it. Until then I'll do without.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The problem is, most use capacitive screens (like the iPad), which is why you can't use it like a tablet.

I'm waiting for this new niche to settle down a little bit. HP may still make the slate, using a WebOS. HTC may make one, and Dell also has the Streak. I like the iPad, but really can't see paying so much for something lacking so much. I'm looking for someone to fill in those gaps.

I like the looks of the Playbook, but my guess is it will flop on the apps and never really compete with the iPad.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    so it got released finally!!

i got the 32gig version and with the bridge to my blackberry phone i can safely say it rocks my underpants. fast easy to use and all those times i wished my blackberry came with a bigger screen are now a thing of the past. uses my phones 3g plan which is awesome,

theres a dropbox app which is a great addition and comes with document editing. The app store is pants but its not a concern as it does so much out of the box theres not really all that much i want to add

i looked at xoom and htc flyer but im so glad i got this instead.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused. Wasn't this released back in April? Is this the same tablet so many reviewers haven't liked because of it unpolished UI?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I really don't get the appeal of tablets. What do you guys find appealing about them?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was released over in the UK on the 16th of june, the UI is very simple to use and have had no problems with it.

for me the appeal of the tablet is that it totally unshackles me from my pc/laptop. my work being primarily email based makes this a complete boon,especially with the blackberry enterprise functionality.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i've got a small archos home tablet, i find it nice to have as a toy for when i'm on the subway or traveling. As far as dropping big bucks on a higher end tablet, i probably wouldnt get my money's worth. Also, i've never had anything running android, so i wanted to see what all the fuss was about
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I had ne for over a month and I hate it.
    I really liked it the first few days but the more I used t the more I did not like.

The device feels overly rushed. OS is missing some key apps like email, wich is not a problem if you have a bpackberry... But I dont.

There is no spell check or autocorrection, When you try to select/highlight text it is quite a pain to do, and takes a while. The whole Holdng to select gesture is way to long (I think 2 seconds?) and I originally though the device could not even select/copy and paste because of it.

The appstore sucks. It has a bunch of sub par apps created by developers who just wanted a free playbook.
    And this won't be getting much better until RIM releases their native SDK. Right now they are forci g developers to use Adobe air or their webxml dev kit. Not enougb access to certain APIs and very difficukt creating a native looking app as there are very few gui apis incpuded ( with the air frame work). So you spend a lot of time creatng gui skins from scratch, which results in a lack of consistency between apps and the os.

Another problem with the app world is that if youget an app while it is free then later the price goes up, you no longer own this app. You do not get updates, you are not allowed to redownload the app.. Pretty much left to rot. This sucks as a consumer, but REALLY sucks as a deeveloper because you can not do any special promotions.

The hardware it self is really nice. screen is great and bright, device feels solid in my hands, great cameras and just awesome overall specs.
    I do find that the battery life us really bad. it often does while in standby. My iPad1 charge lasts for every 2 playbook charges and I have been usng the ipad a lot more.
    Also the power buttn js terrible. Very hard to press, I had to use a pen as I have short nails.

I think if rim released the Native SDK first things would have been a lot better. More quality apps in the store, and more developers creating for the device.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that it does seem kinda rushed and this is as you say because theres no auto correction . But I think that if youre a blackberry user and have appointments, contacts, blackberry messenger and also enterprise working on it the pad gains way more functionality.

I do agree with the apps, yes they do suck, but I think it will improve in time, Im more interested in news apps anyway.

I signed up for the book app that came with the playbook and am pretty happy with that.

Battery life is pretty ok too, I havent used the thing for games and such as I have PC and ps3 for that. But lots of browsing and emails. One charge perday seems to be more than enough.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    PogoP wrote: »
    I really don't get the appeal of tablets. What do you guys find appealing about them?

as a small computer that you can travel with they beat net books hands down. Also all the apps that are coming out that turn it into an extension of your computer or entertainment center, etc... make it a perfect multifunction device.

At the end of the month Time Warner is coming out with an updated version of an app that lets customers stream shows to their tablet and use it as a remote control - I'm sure the high end home theater remote manufacturers are crapping their pants over the fact that a device in the same price range fills the niche of their products as well as being a computer.