Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation i did

an animation from darksiders i did. I have been wanting to post up my work but there are 2 major problems..
1. all of my animations have somehow become dated...i have no clue where time has gone. I just realized it took 4 years to make darksiders... wow!
2. these animation do not represent me anymore.
How ever i do want to post them up bc currently my work online is INSANNEEEE old....MY personal project dragon weaver will reflect better what i can do in animation. :)

With that said, here are links to some anims.

crits are ALWAYS good..no matter who they come from. Any artist who is not open to crits will never ever grow. An animator will grow the MOST thru crits. I have a LIST of things i see wrong already with this animation wich is about 2 yrs old now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvmXo_Pg4kc[/ame]

feel free to chime in and list things that stand out. Why do i welcome this onslaught??? bc the next time i do an anim like this it will only be that much better....

12 yrs in the game industry and i feel like im JUST getting started. Ill always reach for quality!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoypiavNwlQ&feature=player_embedded"][/ame]

Replies

• DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    the steps are a bit to even and slow for me, but thats more a personal taste.
    I also get the feeling the hip could be a bit higher to get a better strech on the legs.
    I like the motion on the wings, the tail however feels a bit stiff :) on the segment between the body and the start on the tail. Would be nice to get the feeling that it´s not just reaction to the movement, but also balancing and move as it would be a secondary character.

But i don´t know what the intention of this walk is, so maybe it´s exactly what you wanted :)

Do you got more stuff?
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the steps..its a walk cycle for a video game so there are some stipulations. If this cycle were for a scene in a cinematic i would of def had the steps uneven, etc. cant do that with a game cycle bc u end up with foot slide. they need to move at a constant rate of speed.

im slowly getting all of this stuff up. Its the last stuff in games i can legally post to the internet, now that im at Blizzard. Most of it is over a year old now from my old job.

Currently working on my own cartoon to showcase where my animation skills are at now.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The weight of it makes it feel like this guys a boss and he's about to kick your ass haha. I feel like the legs go up too high though, at the highest part his knees are an inch away from hitting himself in the stomach which is weird because the rest of it gives you the idea that he's heavy and weighted.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice walk!! :D Like it a lot!
    Hopefully you can legally post some newer stuff soon, would love to see more! Great work :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    This video has been removed by the user. :( joo get busted?

went to your site as well.. 2d is busted on every page but one, they all point to

http://www.artofbrad.com/New_2dArtPage.html
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah sorry about tht. IM trying to upload a high rez version! hang tight!
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should be fine with anything from darksiders! soon my dragon weave stuff will really show what ive got cooking.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the transition from him being hit to falling is lighting fast and a bit strange. slow that down some and i think it would improve a lot
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Hey
    I found the animation overall, enjoyable to watch :)

A bit of clipping here and there. (ie the tail @3seconds)
    and the composition(framing) of the animation can be improved (See 'rule of 3rds')
    Minor stuff really though, especially for an animation 2 years old

I liked it. Good job
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. Def ignore camera anything. These renders were just used during the weekly animation meetings.