Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeons & Dragons Style Adventurer

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
Pulling this lady out of the WAYWO thread.

In an attempt to actually try finishing some of my personal artwork I'm giving this a shot. Also, considering I've given my notice at work and will jump to yet another country in December to be with my family, I need to get my portfolio together as I'm hoping to pick up some freelance work in a few months.

The general idea with this character is to create a typical Dungeons & Dragons style adventurer while avoiding to over-sexify the girl, but still keeping her feminine.

Some stuff on my to-do list:
  • Going to have to redo the hair from scratch, simplifying it slightly.
  • Add some cloth underneath her "skirt", since it looks pretty bad in that area.
  • Put shoulder straps for her backpack.
  • Give the strap that holds her pauldrons in place more "pop".
  • Re-shape her eyes slightly.
  • This might be feature-creep that jeopardizes the completion, but I want to at least add a rope, and a bed-roll.
  • Her backpack needs detailing in the flap area.
  • I've been told she doesn't look very attractive in the face. I'll see what I can do, but I'm trying to avoid giving her the "ideal woman" look.
  • I want to see if I can change up her colour swatch slightly to add more variation to the brown.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I think I've lost my perspective for now.. :)

render_008.jpg

I will post some more work in progress shots, but here's the hair paintover where I decided to come up with a hairstyle that would work. You can see which one I went with, but I went with a red tint, since the blonde blended with her outfit too much.

davidostman_com_fantasygirl_001.jpg

Also, a ZBrush grab of her sword. I'm thinking I probably need to add a scabbard for it and tuck it behind her backpack..

sword_001.jpg
davidostman_com_alienhead_001

Replies

• Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats some great detail on the sword! If you say this is a work in progress I cant wait to see what you got in store to improve on!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i like the left and middle hair the most, but the middle seems to suit better.
    the sword is really nice, very unique style to it... almost golem/elvish hybrid.

her left leg looks a little off balance in the beauty shot... almost like the knee should be rotated outwards a little.
    loving it all though!
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    i like the face. don't make into one of these typical fantasy pr0nbabes. maybe add another weapon? a crossbow or something... that knife/sword doesn't seem so realible all by itself
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    if you'd said it was finished i woulda said fvck yeah (looks cool).

i actually like the face on the marmo shots and think the hair turned out swell.
    Only thing bugging me is she doesn't have much contrast (kinda tricky to read the seperate elements). Maybe making her belt or skirt a much darker or much lighter value tone to break up the middle section would help, dunno :P

will be cool to see what it looks like 'finished' :)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Klumpmeister, thanks :) It's just work in progress in the sense that it's not completed. I'm not going to do so much more on it that you'll notice the difference significantly. I think. I have a problem with calling it quits and just declaring something done. :P

almighty_gir, cheers :) Yeah, I'm rubbish at posing characters. I'm tempted to ask one of the animators at work to kindly rig it and pose it for me!

stickadtroja, I will add a crossbow if I have the time, but it's definitely a good idea. For it to truly be a D&D style character she should be packed full with all sorts of crap :)

Nizza_waaarg, good advice! I'll do some quick tampering to break up the blending before I go to bed tonight :)
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    The palm of her left hand to me looks a little bit odd, like it doesn't cup inwards enough, or have enough indication in form of the underlying bone structure. She also seems to be without a wrist? Looks like her hand kind of inflates and blends into the forearm, to me at least. So if you have a chance might be worth looking at that.

Overall this model is great, love the face variations and the detail in her outfit.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice character! I like how you didn't make her super pretty, brings some believability to it. also I like that blue light you had in pics you had in the WAYWO thread
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work. My only crit would be differentiating skin from leather. They look pretty much the sameat the moment. Maybe introduce some pinkish tones to skin, or some sort of fake sss.
  • Mr.Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword is fantastic, also the scrap-styled armor is kickin!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a nice piece, but your readibility is suffering a bit from the monotony of the colors - especially around the skirt area, where the skirt almost blends together with the legs. Either the skincolor needs to change or the leather has to change - maybe make the skirt made of darker leather, like the stuff on here sides? Other than that I like the way she looks pretty natural, and how details like missing studs on her armor etc enfore that. Maybe give her a swipe of dirt on her face / legs? Her armor is battered but she is squeaky clean. You also have some odd spec going on in places - the leather strap going across her top chest reads like duct tape when the hilite hits :)
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could easily see this in a game and believe it belonged there. I'm not much of a character guy, but it looks like something weird is going on with her left leg. I'm not sure if it is just the boot, but it looks like her leg bone is bent from the knee down.

Excellent work!
  • Jonathan Marshall
    I like it a lot. I have to put in my two cents though: The blond version looks way cooler. I'd have changed the outfit rather than compromise the hair color.