Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - Bunker Science Lab

Hey everyone, I'm working on a decrepit bunker science lab, this is still in the early stages and being blocked out in some areas. I figured why not get crits and whatnot early on. First time doing this so not sure what proper protocol is, here is a really rough sketch and some modeling of what became of that sketch, it did get changed around a bit. (the tank in the middle is goin to be glass)

bunkerconcept.th.jpg

screenshot01q.th.jpg

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Reminds me of the lab in X-Men where they augment the unobtainium to Wolverine's skeleton. :P
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha yea, I didn't plan that originally but one of my friends thought that too, I've been looking for ref pics of that scene in the movie, no real luck so far :/ Guess I could just find someone who has it and watch it
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Someone did that room in the Scene from a Movie contest a year ago.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Disting wrote: »
    Reminds me of the lab in X-Men where they augment the unobtainium to Wolverine's skeleton. :P

Wolverine's skeleton is adamantium, duh. What kind of geek-nerd-poser are you?

Ontopic:
    This looks very empty. I don't see a lot of workspace, like tables and desks, there's only one cabinet, no chairs and whatnot. Better make a few blockout object and try to fill up the room a bit, before going into detail making all kinds of wires along the wall.

It could also use some big pipes and tubes along the wall and/or ceiling.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Snader wrote: »
    Wolverine's skeleton is adamantium, duh. What kind of geek-nerd-poser are you?
    Hahaha, I'm so sorry! Forgive me, nerd-master! ;)

Op-Topic:

I'd suggest making the "tub" more interesting. Right now it feels almost hidden.

Of course, much of this can be done with lighting, but I'd suggest making the tub look more....awesome and big. Not sure if this was any help.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely work on making the tub look more interesting, some WIP updates, added pipes and chairs and other blocked in objects, worked on the pump mechanism for the tub (thought I still could use more I think personally, thoughts?)

Also one thing that I really really suck at is lighting, so any c&c on that would be cool, for my last project in class I spent forever modeling a bike only to show it in class with 'horrendous' lighting (according to the prof) which made it look like crap :/ Also how do you get the shadows to show when rendering? i remember there's a little check box somewhere, thought it was raytracing but couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks All! :)

overview02.th.jpg

This ons is bad but more so that you can see where the doors are in comparison to everything.
    overview03.th.jpg

The door!
    blastdoor02.th.jpg

closer version of the tables, pipes and other objects (Oops forgot lighting for this scene)
    pipeswork01.th.jpg

Tank pump close up
    tankcloseup01.th.jpg
  • Captain Narway
    YOOOOON. The check box for shadows is in the attribute editor for the lights you're using if I remember correctly. I'm pretty poor at lighting as well, but I remember that bit.
    I don't know if you're still working on that door or not, but I vote you add some more detail to make it more interesting, no?
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well its been a while, I now have the scene in UDK, just looking for some C&C, thanks all!

Also I'm kinda new to making them look good for portfolio pieces...is this generally the right format?

bunkerport01.jpg

lab04.jpg

lab02.jpg

lab05.th.jpg

lab03.th.jpg