Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears of War inspired beastie

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Been wanting to do a project from concept all the way through for quite awhile now, so actually pulled my thumb out and started. Posted an earlier version in the 'what are you working on thread' but made this as I intend to follow through with this thing.

Anyway, thinking for this guy "locust drone on 'roids". Here's where I'm at so far with the concept.

gorillathingy5.jpg

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good. Looks sort of like a mix between a gorilla and a drone/Brumak. You should definitely get some armor on it though. Nearly all of the locust creatures have some sort of armor on them.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    cool idea, hope to see more soon !
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looking good. Looks sort of like a mix between a gorilla and a drone/Brumak. You should definitely get some armor on it though. Nearly all of the locust creatures have some sort of armor on them.

Agreed,

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeeeeeeeee fan of GoW art and style, definitely needs some sort of heavy plate(since its a bigger looking guy) covering some pieces of him.

Other then that keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you've got going so far, looking forward to seeing more as it progresses. =)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys :)

I should have said I intend to whack a lot of mechanical whizzbangery on him, guess I just thought it was a given hehe. Had a go at some quick ideas but didn't feel it was coming out well.

Made some tweaks to proportions and shapes on the base creature and took some advice from a couple of the concept guys here at work.

Here's where he is so far. I think I'll probably start focusing on the hard surface stuff soon.

roiddrone1.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a bash at some hard surface ideas. Not particularly happy with how this one is going, but that's part of the process isn't.

Some sort of howitzer thing on his back.

roiddrone2.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried a different process for drawing the armour which I'm finding more comfortable. Still need more practice of course.

I like the big gun on the back and think it helps balance him out, so at the moment sticking with that idea.

roiddronearmour1.jpg
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I definately like the feel of the armor, and the howitzer style cannon, however im not 100% on the helm style, but thats just my personal pref, it still looks great :D
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    If you really want to run with this project I'd say you should do a few variations to show off the beast best. The helmet on the current one looks nice but it covers up half of its face for instance. To show off more of the anatomy of it you could do a variation with much less armor that uses melee for the most part instead of a huge gun on its back.

Anyway to comment on the current iteration, the armor looks nice but I don't like the look of the gun currently. It has too many subtle curves in my opinion and that makes it look more like some Mass Effect type of weapon, not a Locust weapon. For the most part, the Locust weapons are very geometric with curves and angles on weapons and I think applying that to this weapon would make it look a lot better paired with this beast.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    give him some fur and a red tie and you'll have an evil donkey kong
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Purplepaint: Thanks :) I agree about the helmet, still not entirely sure where to go with it, but that one didn't look right.

@ Zip: If I'm happy with house this turns out I might try to get a 3D print done, if so I'd like to have the unarmoured one in it too. Either way I'll be sculpting the base creature fully and putting armour over the top so I can do variants later. A melee one would be good though. You're right about the gun,it didn't look clunky enough to be a locust creation.

Here's where he is at the moment. I tried to make the gun look more crude and heavy, added some artillery style shields that would also come done beside his head and had another bash at the helmet.

EDIT: Added the long barrel

roiddronearmour3.jpg

@Keg:

roidkong.jpg
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big fan of the armour plate for the gun, I haven't played GoW but maybe you could plate it out for some give in movement, layered plates like :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the direction that this is going, keep up the good work
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Woody: Cheers. I'm not sure what you mean though, have parts of the artillery shield move? I've been thinking about having the gun itself move when firing.

@Grimm: Thanks :)

@Nerf: Appreciated :)

I revised the helmet a bit. Thought the sharp parts detracted from the 'big dumbass' nature of the thing so blunted the shapes up some. Also reworked the thigh armour and changed the gun a bit.

roiddronearmour4.jpg

I think I'll start blocking it out in 3D soon and continue concepting from there.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually got back to doing some work on this. I'm currently throwing on random shapes and just messing around. Did a slight paintover the head too.

roiddroneblockout1.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice shapes! lookin good
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    This is an awesome idea ! keep up the good work!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool man. Not sure how I feel about the barrel though. I think I preferred the shorter version.

However, if this is meant to be a long distance, howitzer style cannon, then the long barrel makes sense. I just think it needs a bit...more. Not only to make it more interesting visually, but also to make it fit into the GOW theme better.

Some sort of futuristic muzzle brake would be sweet, and logical.
    Muzzle_break_30mm_mauser_machine_canon.jpg
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah nice. Plz tell me ur passing this bad boy onto epic for Gears 3.
    I would lv to fight this dude haha awesome.

Liking your concept too man looks badass through and through.
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like the idea, but I think as a few people said already, the helmet takes up way to much of the head. In just my opinion, he shouldn't have a helmet.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    roiddronearmour3.jpg

i really like the horn on this helmet compared to what you're current paintover has. That way when he runs out of ammo or when someone gets too close he can ram 'em. But i really like the gun on the back. I think you can really go crazy with the detail on that thing. Excited to see more
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty sweet man, reminds me of this guy
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster & Bradley: Cheers :)

Sean: I'm still not sure on the barrel length, I'll probably be faffing around with that for awhile, I do agree it needs more on it though like a muzzle break. I'll play with that when I focus on blocking out parts for the gun (currently unhappy with it and will start that again).

Melonman: Thanks, seeing it ingame would be great hehe

aajohnny: I'd quite like him to have something on his head, I think being bare would through off the balance giving the gear he'll have everwhere else. He'll be sculpted naked and the armour built around him though so I'll be able to expriment later.

Wretchedgoat: Thanks, though I think touching anything with his head would be a bit tricky hehe. I'll try more with the horn.

Konstruct: Cheers, 'fraid that link isn't working for me though :(
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it, waiting for progress.

My idea: add hooks on hands so that he isn't pushed back by massive recoil :D
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe I had actually painted in some type of hookes that would project out of the 'gloves' to do that, but thought it might be moving too far from what I'm after with this guy. I'll have another go once I get back to throwing stuff around for the arms.

In the meantime I've been 'making shapes' to quote the Mighty Boosh. Working on the assembly that attaches the gun to him.

roiddronearmour2.jpg