Home General Discussion

Copyrights and credits, 2D into 3D.

DMRadford
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
DMRadford polycounter lvl 9
So there's a million concept images out there, from Deviantart to conceptart.org, google images and every 2D artist's blog. As 3D artists, sometimes we (or at least me) just don't have great 2D conceptualizing skills (or sometimes its just artist's block). Whatever the case, eventually we all come across SOMEBODY ELSE's amazing concept piece and think "that would be AWESOME to model/texture/[whatever]!!".

Where do you go from there? I'm looking for the answer to this question, from both legal and moral/industry standpoints. Can you just model/texture the piece and give the artist credit wherever you post it? Maybe send them renders after? Do you have to ask their permission before even think about modeling it? If you don't get permission (or don't ask at all), how close can it be to the concept to fall under "inspired by" and not get you sued/blacklisted? What about replicating 3D works? Following a tutorial is one thing, but what about making a game model of an amazing sculpt you found? Would the same rules apply?

I know some of the answers to these questions are going to be circumstantial (ie: if the artist explicitly specifies that the art can not be used for anything without permission) but any opinions would be good.

-David

Replies

• rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    always ask the artist first. Apart from anything else it's just good manners

then, you'd need to credit them with the design wherever you posted it. If they say no, I have no idea what the legal standpoint is but I would just move on, like you say there are a million concept images out there. It's likely they'll be flattered and say yes anyway, if you word the request well
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

That's how I feel about this sort of stuff. Of course you have inform them about it at some point, but I personally wouldn't ask for their express permission to begin. If you are that into the concept, go for it. If you are not using it for profit and just putting it in your portfolio or as a personal project, I doubt many artists would decline you. I'd start on it and ask them if it's okay to continue and how they want to be credited. In the rare case that they do say no, you can change it up so that it doesn't follow the concept so closely. Maybe mention you were inspired by that piece.

I think you can really approach the situation any way you want as long as you are informing the artist that you are basing your work on their concept. Before or after I don't think there's any wrong way of going about it. Just make sure you respect the artists' wishes.