Home General Discussion

Could it be? ICO/Shadow of the Colossus game bundle for the PS3?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
This might be interesting. hmmmmnnn

It's under $40 so... sign me up? Oh wait... I sold my PS3 :(.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICO-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PS3-PlayStation-3/15061046

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Buying this as I cant find a copy of ICO and my PS2 is dead due to the stupid laser.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I could never find a copy of ICO, that and the original MONSTER HUNTER for PS2, which I bought for $60 - $70+ from ebay. Later I gave it to a friend since I wanted him to try it... and low and behold it's fucking gone, my fav game........... FML
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah! They announced this a while back. Before E3, I think.

I hope it comes out soon. I never got the chance to play ICO. Loved SotC, though!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    They actually havent announce it yet. Its just everyone assumes that they should do it cuz its amazing. Fumito the director of both and Last Guardian said he would love a Ico/Shadow pack though.

It would be so dumb on Sony's part if they dont do this but I think they will announce it/give it a release date close to the release of Last Guardian much like the GoW collectors pack.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    i have both of them on ps2 discs and am in love.
    i hope that they release them in high res, they still hold up to new games graphically, IMO.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    i hope that they release them in high res, they still hold up to new games graphically, IMO.
    A couple of interesting links about this very topic.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    YES! I still have my PS2 just in case I get the urge to play SOTC and I'd love to play through ICO again.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I am very much looking forward to this package.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    YES! I still have my PS2 just in case I get the urge to play SOTC and I'd love to play through ICO again.
    It's the ONLY reason why I have my PS2. When this comes out I'm for sure going to get it, and then I can put away (NOT SELL) my copies of the PS2 versions.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I really do hope they make this. I've already been sort of assuming they would based on all of the previous rumors about it.

Ico is such a rare game to find, they have to do an update so I can play it without having to resort to ebay and playing my ps2 on 480p.

I would love to play through SotC again in HD. The God of War collection looks great updated I can only imagine SotC being spectacular too.

It would suck if they make it release close to Last Guardian like they did with the GoW collection, because who knows when that will come out...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Great! Two games I never played because I didn't have a PS2. It might be the first game I buy for my PS3
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Great! Two games I never played because I didn't have a PS2. It might be the first game I buy for my PS3

Oh my, your missing out a great deal sir.

A GREAT DEAL!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Just thought I should mention this: if you own a copy of ICO but don't want to play it in 480p, then give PCSX2 a shot. Performance is good and the game should run at fullspeed on most, modern PC's.

I will be waiting for the pack though; emulating SOTC is not possible yet and I would love to play it in high resolution. I would love to see them update the textures as well (they look pretty blurry at times), but I really doubt they will go this far.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is certainly the kind of game I would buy again, as I did with MGS3 (I purchased it 3 times, the first time I sold it, the second time my friend lost it, and the third was in the MGS bundle.)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like Sony just confirmed it as coming via Famitsu. Bet we will hear more about it and Last Guardian at TGS. Super excited, always wanted Ico but never found a copy and LOVE Shadow. One of my top games of all time.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Famitsu is a magazine, so it can't be taken as confirmation just yet. Of course, it does make the rumors seem that much more likely.

I already own copies of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2, and I would STILL buy a PS3 version. I would be especially interested if they were able to apply some of the PS3's processing power to Shadow of the Colossus. SotC suffered badly at times from the hardware constraints of the PS2. (low-res textures, lagging framerates, etc...) Having a version with high-res textures and zero slowdown would be a treat.
  • eld
  • glynnsmith
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    not bad however i won't be buying those two again. this however i'd welcome on PSN very much: http://www.1up.com/news/report-muramasa-odin-sphere-high-definition
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, officially confirmed. Right from the source. Not a very well-kept secret, but who cares?! We get to have HD-remixed versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus! And apparently they're even going to be adding support for 3D visualization. Not a terribly important extra to most people, but not bad to have for the future either. Both of those games had some fantastic environments, and would probably look kick-ass in 3D. I waited to buy the God of War Collection, but this one is going to be a day-one purchase.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I'm actually kinda excited about this, I only played ICO for like 30 mins back in the day before shutting it off due to my 15 year old mind craving non stop violence and shooting, and never played SoTC.

now that I'm older and appreciate other types of games than non stop violence I am eager to play these ps2 classics that everyone is always raving about.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, officially confirmed. Right from the source. Not a very well-kept secret, but who cares?! We get to have HD-remixed versions of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus! And apparently they're even going to be adding support for 3D visualization. Not a terribly important extra to most people, but not bad to have for the future either. Both of those games had some fantastic environments, and would probably look kick-ass in 3D. I waited to buy the God of War Collection, but this one is going to be a day-one purchase.

Yeah I agree, the game had amazing environments, some people I knew used to say (regarding SOTC), "man da fuck, there is like nothing in this land, way to empty man, so boring". I reply'd "shudup and worship one of the best PS2 games, when you create something like this you can bad talk it all you want, until then, WORSHIP".
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first. day. purchase.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I'm more interested in The Last Guardian! More news on that, plz!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EXTENSIVE RETEXTURING AND CO OP IN ICO.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Trailer! Games sure do look great up rezed to HD :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKqe5jMlkCY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Seems like its going to be 50 bucks for EACH game though. No combo 40 bucks for 2 games like GOW Collection.

Kinda feels like a rip off for charging almost the same amount as a new current gen game for these old PS2 games done up in HD. Then again I will still be buying both. Never got to play Ico and Shadow is one of my favorit games of all time. But 50 bucks eachs is kinda steep :/

http://kotaku.com/5808145/hd-versions-of-ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-dated
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wait, is $50 each confirmed? I'm sad that they're separate, but it really comes down to price.

and considering Shadow of the Colossus was $40 NEW (I don't think ICO was full price ever either?), this is hard to swallow.

edit: just because it's $50 US after conversion doesn't mean it'll be 50 here. At least, I don't imagine they would be. That'd be insane.
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup looks like they'll be 50$ a game..although would be nice for convience and in HD, I have both games (both acquired brand new for 20$ each) so i dunno if i should get them butttt i probably will, they look very pretty!

Edit - annnd they did end up bundling them together! for 90$ u.s but hopefully it'll be available in english for u.s/canadians too. Also there's some rumor's going around in NA it'll be released together as one collection rather than sold seperately.

they do look pretty... i'll probably get them :p

I will so be getting The Last Guardian :D So excited for it!! All three are magnificent games and if you're missing one of these ps2 beauties, i definitely recommend picking them up for ps3
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    :P my TV can only go up to 1080i so SOTC will look exactly the same as it does on my PS2
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure I see much of a different with the HD versions, besides antialiasing and higher framerate.

With that, I've still got my PS2, and SOTC on that. Without bundling them together, and selling them at that pricepoint, I'll probably give these a miss :(

Shame, though. Was hoping for something more.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If the bundle is worth it, I'll get it. But 4,000 yen each? I'll wait and see what they do in the US version.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Can't wait. ICO is beautiful but SoC is stunning. I couldn't believe they pushed the PS2 that far back then but reading the "making of" shows how clever they were.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I'm not sure I see much of a different with the HD versions, besides antialiasing and higher framerate.

With that, I've still got my PS2, and SOTC on that. Without bundling them together, and selling them at that pricepoint, I'll probably give these a miss :(

Shame, though. Was hoping for something more.

Yea, this. The improvements seemed really minimal here. Not worth the full price for each game...

Last Guardian is still a go in my book though.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The sold-separate thing is only in Japan, in the US they're doing it as a collection. Price isn't confirmed but will likely be $40 considering the prices of previous collections.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    PolyHertz is right; online shops still offer preorders at $40.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Shadow-Colossus-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5FG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1307179662&sr=8-1[/ame] has it for $38 and I doubt it will change all of a sudden. Also, that Japanese bundle doesn't seem like such a bad deal considering that it comes with a 100-page booklet.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The important part of this announcement is that these collections are coming out in September. And if they are expected to drop at that time, it is much more likely that the Last Guardian will be announced for release this holiday season 2011. (for cross-promotional purposes)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guardian is coming out 2012. They already announced it. If these are coming out September time then I would guess 6montjs later last guardian to come out. That's what gow collection was like
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    why they don't

why
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Andreas wrote: »
    why

Because PS3 isn't powerful enough to emulate PS2. The early PS3s that ran PS2 games had additional hardware for that purpose that is no longer included.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    :P my TV can only go up to 1080i so SOTC will look exactly the same as it does on my PS2

... that's not how it works.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Because PS3 isn't powerful enough to emulate PS2. The early PS3s that ran PS2 games had additional hardware for that purpose that is no longer included.

That's not actually true. There are later PS3 units that emulated the PS2 using software, and no additional hardware. My own PS3 is one of those. It plays the majority of PS2 games just fine.

It would be entirely possible for Sony to begin distributing PS2 games through PSN. I'm not sure why they haven't already. Especially since they've already begun distributing full PS3 games.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That's not actually true. There are later PS3 units that emulated the PS2 using software, and no additional hardware. My own PS3 is one of those. It plays the majority of PS2 games just fine.

It would be entirely possible for Sony to begin distributing PS2 games through PSN. I'm not sure why they haven't already. Especially since they've already begun distributing full PS3 games.

WAT. Only the first gens play PS2 games... are you talking about a PS3 slim, or maybe the 2nd gen 80GB PS3.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only the first gen PS3 can play PS2 games. And it was only the 60gig HD version which was the max at the time.

It all has to deal with the emotion engine and the fact that PS3's no longer have a Graphic Synthesizer in them making pure emulation impossible. The "classics" require a bit of work to get it to run on a PS3, hence the need for them to be reconfigured and put on a disk. Or thats the way I have been told it is.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, if I remember correctly the best package to get for full hardware emulation in the US was the Motorstorm bundle - which became quite a sought after item exactly for that reason.
    Then after that there were some iterations of ps3s with ps2 support through software emulation.
    Then, fat ps3s with no ps2 emulaiton at all.
    And then the Slim.

All in one, it sucks. I have quite a few PS2 classics I really love but having to keep the PS2 around just for that is a pain in the ass. Yet, if my PS3 was able to play them I would probably play them all the time ...

(and then there's the problem of PS2 discs regions too ... what a clusterfuck!!)
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Only the first gen PS3 can play PS2 games. And it was only the 60gig HD version which was the max at the time.

Actually, i think the highest ps2 compatible ps3's is 80 gb because mine is an 80 gb old gen ps3 and it can play ps2 and ps1 games :) And i do believe 20 gb old gen ps3 could play them too, if i'm not mistaken. Could be wrong on the 20 gb, but my 80 gb can definitely play them.

Either way, looks like these two beauties will be bundled together in the U.S., the seperate prices are only available in japan.

ico will also feature it's international version offering co-op.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »

It all has to deal with the emotion engine and the fact that PS3's no longer have a Graphic Synthesizer in them making pure emulation impossible. The "classics" require a bit of work to get it to run on a PS3, hence the need for them to be reconfigured and put on a disk. Or thats the way I have been told it is.

Actually, the first thing to go when they started cutting was the emotion engine, but they still had the ps2 gpu in it, these were the later version ps3's that could play ps2 games, but only like 60% of them, partial emulation.

Later on they cut the gpu too, leaving a potential full software emulation, but that would've been far too much effort to be worth it for sony, considering the high potential of repackaged classics.

The best thing to do is get a chipped ps2-slim, you'll never be able to play any imports on a ps3 anyway, and it would mean me not being able to ever play xenogears as a european.