Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pentheselia Environment (WIP)

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Razgriz keyframe
Hello everyone,

This is a level I'm putting together right now for a class. The class has very strict limitations on the amount/types of assets we are allowed to use, and it's due as a final next week. Right now I'm very happy with my assets, but it's not coming together in UDK how I anticipated.

It's a vast desert landscape filled with ancient ruins. Most of the inspiration came from ancient Persian and Iranian ruins like Persepolis, and various deserts from the region. I would appreciate any critiques on composition, lighting, color, level arrangement, or anything else that sticks out. Thanks! I'll post update as they come.

pentheselia_1.jpg

pentheselia_2.jpg

pentheselia_4.jpg

pentheselia_3.jpg

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Good start, if you're limited on model space then definetly take advantage of the shader network for breaking up tiling textures and assets. For now I would say dirty up the meshes you have with vertex painting or decals, and add some variation into the sand itself.

I think you could do with some sort of focal point, like a temple maybe, the scene is a bit generic atm.

Goodluck!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Looking real good man! I think you could add a small subtle amount of more dirt on those stones.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like you are using per-vertex lighting on all your static meshes. Switch to lightmaps if you're allowed to, it will make a huge improvement. Bump up the resolution on your terrain lightmap too, it looks pretty splotchy in places. Your shadows are too dark -- are you making use of the View > World Properties > Lightmass > Lightmass Settings > Environment Color setting to simulate bounced blue light from the sky? For a standard realistic outdoor lighting setup your should have a slightly blue Environment Color and a slightly yellow Dominant Directional Light.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I've adjusted the lighting per your suggestions, Zack, and I think it's a big improvement. I had it backwards - blue directional with yellow environment. Toning down the shadows also helped a ton. The resolution on the lightmaps is low, but that will be fixed later, once I do some vertex painting for blending the columns into the ground. Also, High Poly renders if anyone cares.

pentheselia_6.jpg
    high_poly_displays.jpg
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job with the sculpting! My only concern is that it feels overly barren. Aside from the green grass, there's really only two colours. If you look at this image of Persepolis, you can see that there is quite a bit of variation in the surrounding dirt and sand. In addition, I would make the stones of the ruins slightly more brown in colour, as they are quite grey at the moment.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I agree about the colors and the barrenness of the environment, and those are two major critiques I'm going to focus on with my next project. I just don't have time on this one, it's due as a final in a couple days, and then I have to move on to other things. As a quick fix, I blended some brown dirt into the bright sand to break up all of the yellow. I also completely reworked the main composition, I think its a lot more interesting like this. As part of the class restrictions we weren't allowed to use unique assets for focal points.

pentheselia_7.jpg

pentheselia_8.jpg

pentheselia_9.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    needs sand piles and sand in the cracks!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Well, I've run out of time on this, I'm going to have to call it done. I learned quite a bit, as short of a project as it was.

render_2.jpg
    render_4.jpg
    render_6.jpg
    render_8.jpg
    render_10.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    would be a nice multiplayer map i think. i like the light really much :)
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking really nice.

I like how it's day time, but the baroness of it still gives and creepy feel to it. The atmospherics of the final render also make it look hot (as it should).

I need to keep that advice by Zack for lighting my own scenes. That piece of advice improved your scene seven fold.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    well done. Very realistic. I get cotton mouth just looking at it.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Your last update was a huge improvement. I feel like as you went through to improve it based on feedback you also created a more balanced level. If you play through some of Valve's games and listen to their commentary, you can learn a lot about level design. That was the weakest part earlier. Now, while not perfect, it makes more sense and isn't so confusing. Nicely done!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    This is really cool!!! The ligthing on the last updates is awesome!
  • BlazeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    Dig all the lighting for that last one. It's a simple design, but man there are so many applications for this. Conan anyone?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks pretty awesome man, lighting is getting there for sure, the pieces look nicely detailed and not too over destroyed. I think right now as a whole the scene is lacking contrast, all the textures are evenly detailed and colored. get some hue variation and contrast in there with some vertex blending in areas to help break it up.

Also the ground needs some variation from just sand, some chipped off debris or small rocks would really help give it some variety.Larger forms like small rocks intertwined in there would help give things a sense of scale. here is a quicky paintover of some of the ideas i mean. cant wait to see more progress, this is lookin fantastic dude.

DesertPaintover.JPG
  • Jonathan Marshall
    I want to play it!