Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shiny and glowy sci-fi spaceship interior (UDK)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
This is a small environment I've been working on for a couple of days now, the thread title says it all really :) Ultra WIP! :

screenshot00028z.png
screenshot00029x.png
screenshot00030.png
screenshot00027.png

Again, very WIP!

This is a planning/navigation room for the officers of the spaceship.

Plans so far: holograms around the concaves in the wall, some control panels, seats, etc.

It's going to be as modular as possible, I'd like to have an actual small level by the end of it :)

Thanks for looking and in advance for any c&c!

Replies

• DBo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBo
    This is turning out awesome man, I'm getting a real Mass Effect look and feel from it, looking forward to seeing this progress. :thumbup:
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm curious what's the size of your cube-map for this reflection, or did you just use the old trick of alpha'ed ground + flipped scenery ?

Looks stunning.

Also that black distortion line of the window is weird, at first I thought it was some mip-mapping problem on your planets.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed. This is looking really good so far. I'm not sure as to what your plans are about filling out the room, focal point (is it that yellow glowy thing), room's purpose/function? I think you have a great opportunity to use subtle colours in the glowy lights to guide the viewer eye.
    At the moment I think toning down the lens flare would be a good idea.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback guys

DBo: thanks, I love the clean look of Mass Effect, especially the Normandy :)

ParoXum: The reflection is a a scene capture reflect actor, it's a real reflection based on an actor in the scene, that puts the reflection to a texture you use in the material. Here it's 2048x2048 for presentation, but it literally takes 2 seconds to change the resolution to anything, so it's easily scalable.

The window distortion looks strange at the moment I know, I just took my tile normal map and used it for the time being :)

paulsvoboda: Thanks. as I said under the images in the first post, I'm planning to fill out the room with holograms in the concaves of the walls, and some sort of planning/map table in he centre (Just decided now :p ) The room purpose is a planning/command room.

As for focal point, I originally said I wanted to have this as modular and level-like as possible, hopefully ending up with a small level layout I could maybe record a flythrough with.. But in this room, I'm thinking a holographic map in the centre will be the focal point.

Just a note, the yellow sphere will be a holographic representation of the red planet you see out the window, and it's still a very simple shader at the moment. Once I start getting holograms and control/info panels around the room I'll start focusing on making them look pretty :D

And if anything it needs MORE lense flare! hehe I'll tone it down when I work on it next.

SasoChicken: Thanks for the comment! and yeah, I've got a lot planned as I just typed above (man that's a lot of typing for me, sorry guys). I'm going for a clean look but definately not empty. If I can work on it today, expect more pics soon :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    The lighting and materials look pretty sweet--but the floor is so flat! perhaps give it some visual interest by creating a step down or up--given the shape of the walls that might be tough to do somewhere along the wall, but even a raised platform or lowered section of the big central area might give it some variety. Likewise, you could vary the ceiling height a little.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback blankslatejoe, and I totally agree. I've addressed some of that today:

Today's update. Added a bit more to the layout to open it up a bit so it's not a dead end, and started a holo-map table and other details.. I'll let the pictures do the talking :)

(by the way, the planet holograms on the table currently are just placeholders.. it's safe to say I haven't even touched the holograms at all, even the sphere is going to be changed)

screenshot00032.png
    screenshot00033p.png
    screenshot00034.png
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey mate, looking great! No real crit from me so far, just keep on going! I wanna see it finished=)
    good luck!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    quick question, what is this being rendered in?
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good so far, I really like the design and colors. Any chance you'll post wires?
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    d1ver: Thanks mate, appreciate it. don't worry I'm pumped to finish it :)

ENODMI: *points to topic title* It's in Unreal Engine 3, UDK

doeseph: Thanks! Here's the wires in UDK at the moment.. Kind of confusing but works ok. Triangle count for everything including sky, planets etc. at the moment is at 67,700 tris

screenshot00035o.png
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, just gave it another look and there were a couple of things that poped ino my mind.

- First of all I think you need a more pronounced and interesting focal point.

- Secondly, I don't how many props you'll have in the end but It seems like there will be some more. And in order for them to be seen I think you'll have to crank up some lighting. Cause those darks places are looking a bit too dark to show off anything but the walls. At least to me.

- Another thing, is that after seeing your wires I felt like the objects are a bit...emmm...simple? undetailed maybe. What I mean is that your scene looks awesome, because of the mood and the lighting and stuff like that. And that's a good thing. But if you're going to look for a job with that thing, than I for example would like to have some assets that easely stand out on their as solid pieces. It's not like everything should be in detail overkill, but a couple of "complex" props could be interesting and would create a nice contrast. Help the scene not feel too generic.

Good luck, again!+)
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the great feedback d1ver. I agree with you on all accounts, and I have some nice props planned.. those concaves in the wall are there for a reason! :)

The focal point, I'm not sure exactly what to do there.. Keep in mind that table will have a nice holographic map or something similar in the end, not just the spheres. Any ideas would be great

I'm thinking also some awesome futuristic chairs in the empty space on the floor there.

About the lighting, you're right, I've had to steadily ramp it up as I add more.. I guess I just gotta stop being timid about it and brighten it way up!

Thanks again, more pics soon
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Ha! Thanks, I swear I know how to read:poly135:
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Kinda Tron-ish, and too dark for my taste.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    C0ldhands: I hope I've addressed that with this update, I've doubled the brightness of all of the lights:

screenshot00036.png
    screenshot00037y.png
    screenshot00038t.png
  • jason2010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, this interior is great! I would love to use it as a background for a PC game I am currently working on.

I wrote to Simmo but haven't received any reply yet, has anyone else made an interior similar to this that I could use?