Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AR-15 M4

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!
I thought I'd show you my latest project.
I started modeling this about 2-3 days ago during breaks between classes at uni.

This is one of the most difficult models I've modeled to be honest, and I'm not even done.
Been having some big problems with the proportions, even though I have tons of photo ref.

Please let me know what you think.
I know I need to adjust some proportions, but I don't know which and how. Something just feels off about it. ^^

Replies

• HappyFool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HappyFool polycounter lvl 10
    Try making the back part on the rifle and make it bigger. That thing after the scope, the barrel looks kinda big. So just grab the bask part (whole left side on the pic) and make it bigger. Other than that it's really nice. Good job :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!
    I've made the butt a bit bigger now, and it looks better!
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's another update!

I changed the grip to a nato rail instead, because I wanted to add some attachments to it.

Let me know what you think!
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Disting,

Prepare yourself for a potential onslaught of replies. While your modeling seems sound, you have strayed pretty far from a number of forms found on the M4. There are some gun nerds who will be inclined to lay it on. This is especially the case when the gun exists in the real world and reference material abounds on the internet.

That said, I am something of a gun-nerd, but I will try to be gentle.
    I would strongly suggest you take a more stern eye towards your reference material. While there are a number of issues the ones that stand out the most are:

Your magazine terminates at the wrong angle in that it is almost parallel with the receiver, barrel, etc. The floor plate of the mag should point up somewhat towards the barrel (again something you will see in reference materials.)

Secondly your rear grip is a bit bulbous. There are a bunch of grips available for the M16 family but frankly none of them look that rounded.

Lastly, front sight/gas block area looks off, especially in the bayonet lug area underneath. There should be something more along the lines of a "lug" where the bayonet can attach, where as you have two flanges on either side. Again look at your reference material.

That's enough from me. Again the modeling looks solid, I'd just work on the accuracy of some of your shapes.
  • Mitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the one thing that stands out for me is the fact that the handle of the gun is smooth. don't all gun handles have some sort of a grip/rough texture to it?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much guys!
    I really appreciate your critique. :)

I am in no way experienced with modeling weapons, but I'm slowly getting the grip on how different parts work, look and how weapons are put together, so all your crits are very appreciated.

Bumper: I will definately fix the magazine angle, thanks for pointing that out.
    The grip has barely been touched, and I will fix it. I got tons of ref for it, so that shouldn't be a problem, but thanks for pointing it out!
    I don't really understand what you meant about the lug thing. Would you like to explain it further please?

Mitz: Yeah, I will get on the handle the coming days. I haven't started on it yet. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After consideration and discussion with friends, I've decided to scrap this project for now.
    Too many major shapes that need to be remake, so I have to redo it all later on.

I'll start modeling the HK UMP 45 this week.
    Simpler shapes and it feels like a better practise object for normal map baking and texturing.

Thanks for all your critique! I really appreciate it! Hope you'll check out my UMP45. :)
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Disting wrote: »
    After consideration and discussion with friends, I've decided to scrap this project for now.
    Too many major shapes that need to be remake, so I have to redo it all later on.

I'll start modeling the HK UMP 45 this week.
    Simpler shapes and it feels like a better practise object for normal map baking and texturing.

Thanks for all your critique! I really appreciate it! Hope you'll check out my UMP45. :)

No problem man. You're really on the right track. Just get as much ref as you can and stick to it! :)