Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Gunship (Image-heavy)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Piflik polycounter lvl 12
Current Project: a futuristic Gunship used by the German Luftwaffe...about 6k faces, 2k textures...

I would really love to hear some input to take it a step further...especially the texture (which needs at least 3 steps to become good...), but crits regarding the model are welcome, too...anyway...images...

Wires:

Gunship_Wire.jpg

Gunship_Wire_Bot.jpg

Realtime from Max Viewport (using a standard DX Shader, nothing fancy like Xoliul's or Three-Point's, since both are to advanced for my machine...):

Gunship_RT.jpg

Gunship_RT_Back.jpg

Gunship_RT_Close.jpg

And how it might look like, if my machine was stronger...rendered with MRay:

Gunship_MRay.jpg

Gunship_MRay_Back.jpg

Textures (Diffuse, Normals, Spec, Gloss; half size):

Gunship_Diffuse.jpg

Gunship_Normals.jpg

Gunship_Spec.jpg

Gunship_Gloss.jpg

Hoope I didn't scare anyone with my wall of pictures... ;)

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Make the the emblems and decorations on the ship a bit less saturated.

Why's the canopy so scratched up and not the other parts of the ship that would take significantly more battle damage?
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig the concept. I do agree with Shad0wforces comments, but I think overall it's looking good. I would suggest perhaps adding a wing on the back of the fuselage, making the front wings a little more like canards. A little expository on the craft might help it be understood a little better... I get that it's a VTOL aircraft, but the back end of the tail feels pretty wimpy, almost like it could be taken out with small arms fire.

Overall, I'd suggest adding in something that makes it look like it can generate both lift and thrust without compromising one or the other. Your engines look like they're more like ramjet engines, but without a source of fuel, I'm a little confused.

Texture-wise, I'm quite impressed with the way you handled it. I would add in some scratches along the edges of panels to expose just a tad of bare metal. The paint looks showroom new, but the decals look worn and there's burning on the side thrusters. Also, adding a bit of spec or different color for the rivets would go a long way towards showcasing the work you put into making the rivets.

Out of curiosity, what's that fourth map you're using? I recognize the Diffuse, Normal, and Spec, but that fourth one is foreign to me.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    One other thing: That bumped texture you're using for the metal material looks like eggshell. You may want to change the texture or lower the bump level of that material just a bit. :)
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept and overall shape is really really awesome and has tons of potential.

Texture ruins it all though. Where does normalmap come from? Did you bake it from high-poly? Specular looks really rushed and careless too.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's more like a helicopter than a plane, a bit like the craft in G-Police (if anyone remembers), so the 'wings' at the front are rather weapon platforms than wings/canards to produce lift/control, although they do have the cross-section to produce lift, but that is mainly because I thought it looked stupid otherwise. Lift and thrust both come from the main thrusters and the little support thrusters at the sides and the back. It is mainly designed as air support for ground troops and anti-tank, that's why the weapons are angled a bit downwards. No real anti-air capabilities...

Normals are mainly baked from highpoly, only the paneling/rivets and the canopy were painted.

The fourth map is a Gloss Map...it determines the sharpness of the Spec...in this case it is very similar to the spec itself, just the scratches on the canopy are darkened...

The spec might be rushed...I just desaturated the different layers of the diffuse and adjusted their values...I might add color to the cables of the main gun, but other than that I wouldn't know what to do different...I must admit I am not really experienced with that...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Piflik wrote: »
    It's more like a helicopter than a plane, a bit like the craft in G-Police (if anyone remembers)

Yeah, it's very reminiscent of the G-Police choppers.

Overall, I'd say some areas could definitely benefit from some actual geometry. I'm not usually an advocate of detail for detail's sake, but right now the surfaces seem very sparse and lacking in visual interest. You could definitely push the high-poly way further, and consider upping the count of the low-poly.

I don't think ten or even twenty thousand would be too high for a vehicle like this, unless it's intended for a more limited hardware platform.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    EDIT-ha dan n Piflik had this open in my browser since lunch and forgot to post it

- reminds me of psygnosis's G-police (1st image)
    -use xoliels shader for presentation...reflections shadow maps in realtime etc much better than maxes directx bollox
    -get rid of the bump on the metal... let the spec do the work
    - add another colour perhaps light grey paint on the underside (see second pic)
    -alter the spec range on different panels and maybe tweak the diffuse on some too
    g_police-front.jpg

314-b1-super-tucano-fighter-plane.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    def need some work on that diffuse, and spec, also add an AO, and I agree with Danshewan, the high poly could use more detail. but it def has a sweet shape.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul's (and Three-Point's) Shader shows pure white on my poor machine, so that's out...

Different Diff and Spec for different panels is a very good idea...I will definitely try and do this next...gray for the bottom is also on the agenda...actually it already has been...I don't know why I didn't do it...

Also I think I'll put the Decals into the Spec and Gloss Maps to separate them from the rest...

Concerning geometry...I think I'll increase the number of segments on the main body to make it less angular, but I don't know what I could add in terms of surface detail...I thought about vents or exhausts for the engine but since the craft essentially uses the exhaust fumes for propulsion, this would be a bit counter productive...and I'm not really a fan of pointless Death-Star-Greebles...the craft isn't the most aerodynamic to begin with and adding random boxes wouldn't help...but I concede that it looks quite bland now...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Piflik wrote: »
    Concerning geometry...I think I'll increase the number of segments on the main body to make it less angular, but I don't know what I could add in terms of surface detail...

Even though it's a fictional craft, it's pretty obvious that you haven't used much reference of actual aircraft.

Even the most streamlined, functional aircraft can only conceal mechanical parts so well. Look at your paneling - some of it doesn't even make any sense from a manufacturing point of view. Some panels intersect with others, and others simply change direction abruptly without any intersecting plates etc.

Think about how an aircraft like this would actually operate, and how the machinery would be constructed. I'd imagine that some kind of hydraulics would be necessary to move the propulsion engines - where are the pipes, tubing and cabling that would enable this? Aircraft are comprised of hundreds, if not thousands, of individually-manufactured parts - yours is made up of several large, bulky pieces. It's not even clear how it would sit on the ground right now.

Detail doesn't necessarily mean sacrificing or compromising an overall streamlined design, but right now it looks far too simple to be a convincingly realistic vehicle, especially something as complex as a vertical take-off aircraft. I'd start by examining some detail shots of aircraft undercarriages, landing gear, cutaway diagrams etc to get an idea of how intricate some areas of even highly aerodynamic aircraft actually are.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update...increased the segments on the main body and added some gray color...the stripes on the tail are placeholders, resulting from a combination of existing indentations, missing details and failure to think of something more fitting...some additional minor tweaks, like different spec/diff for different panels and lower saturation for the decals...but it doesn't look too shabby now...I'd almost say it looks better in realtime now than it does in MRay...I wish I could have realtime reflections in the viewport...stupid old machine...

Gunship_RT_V2.jpg

Gunship_RT_Grounded.jpg

Gunship_MRay_V2.jpg

That last one is again MRay...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So...I decided to make a kind of landing platform for the machine...the first try was an utter failure...somehow I didn't realize during modeling/texturing that it didn't fit the helicopter at all... (if you're kinda masochist, you can see it here :D)

I scrapped it and started all over...so here are some shots from the high...if you have any remarks (besides the inherent stupidity of free floating landing platforms), feel free to shoot me ;)

Landing_Pad01.jpg

Landing_Pad02.jpg