Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RPG Game project Unleashed, demo available.

Mussi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Mussi polycounter lvl 12
WIP.jpg
WIP3.jpg

This game is currently a finalist for the Intel Level Up 2010 contest.

Brief description:
A fast action RPG set in a dark medieval time, which will make use of physics and quick pace gameplay to deliver a more action packed gameplay style than generally seen in the genre. The player will control one of five classes as a gladiator, born into slavery. In a struggle for survival and knowledge, you will battle your way through hordes of enemies inside the bloody arena. Multiplayer will be available for up to six people.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kSeRvbYV0[/ame]

Download the game demo here.

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WoW with shitty graphics is a finalist in that competition?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    a bit harsh dont you think?
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a cool idea. Although I wouldve scrapped the whole WoW-looking item text colors and be a little more creative with the overall stats of them. I mean, the items looks like they are directly copied from WoW, aswell as some of the skills/spells.

I understand that it is in a early state (obviously), but come on. Be creative!

Keep it up!
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should have waited before releasing anything, the state it's currently in is fairly... poor, and may not do the final product proper justice and turn people away early on.

Maybe there's some complex game design underneath here which i'm missing, but from a strictly graphical standpoint it's very bland. I mean, should I even comment on that? I have no indication of where this is on the timeline of a finished product, but it's really a problem when I can identify that sand texture from Google Images.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Well to give him some credit he did say it was Alpha, which means most (if not all) of the graphical pieces are placeholers until the gameplay gets to a more complete state. I will say though that I personally am tired of seeing all of these cookie cutter RPG's popping up everywhere. If your gonna devote the time and effort into a huge RPG, make it completely unique, or else it will just get lost in a sea of average games similar to it.
  • Mussi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mussi polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. The game is indeed in it's very early stages(pre alpha) and all of the art is place holder art, we are still looking for artists.

@Achillesian While we are certainly not blind to the similarities that exist between our game and WoW, the same could be said in regard to many other RPG's that exist today, they often share some basic elements. If you keep following our game you'll find out the games are absolutely not similar though.

@Eric,
    The color coding on the weapons was intentionally made to match WoW's, we could indeed have gone for different colors but would that really have been creative? We see it as a way for players to more easily adapt to our game. Just changing things for the sake of changing them is not our way. In regards to stats, it's true you'll find similar ones in most RPG's, under same or different names, generally what they do stays somewhat similar: more damage dealt, less damage taken, faster attacks, more health, chance for xxx to occur. I'm afraid you'll have to accept that these base stats are featured in most RPG games. On the topic of skills and abilities I have to disagree with you, unlike WoW our abilities will make use of physics and have many different interesting interactions between one another that you will not find in WoW.
  • eric.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, it will be easier to understand these stats and value of the item with that color coding (since everyone already seen it). My concern is that is looks exactly like wow right now. Sure, its in an early stage, but I dont see how this will attract more people. Theres so much more you can do to make it both easy to understand and make it look more interesting. (Im not saying that WoW doesnt have interesting color coding)

About the stats; You're right about the attributes/stats on the items. I see them in RPGs all the time. But the combination of the colors and stats just make me think that you're to lazy to come up with your own idea, no offense.

And the skills/abilities. Now here I cant say much cause I really cant see these interesting interactions you are talking about(other than this Stone Cage), but I will leave it blank for now till I see them myself :)

Anyway, keep working hard and Im sure this game will turn out good!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mussi wrote: »
    we are still looking for artists.

you should be looking for designers.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    you should be looking for designers.

I think that is enough low blows from you...:thumbdown: