Home Technical Talk

3Ds max 2011 Caddies

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DEElekgolo interpolator
Is it possible to get rid of this crap?
2010-09-03_1015.png
The default menus were a lot better during my work-flow, but this is just a bad attempt at adding some new visual aspects compared to the more technological functions they have added.

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    there is a thread on autodesk area about a temporary fix using some max 2010 files. the thread is called something like die caddies die in the 3ds max 2011 sub forum
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    AFAIK you cannot disable them, but you can prevent them from jumping all around the place and following your mesh, so they always open on the same spot and stay there...you have to use a little script for that...
    grip.centeronselected = grip.show = true
    grip.centeronselected = grip.show = false

• airbrush
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    that always annoyed me too..thx for the script
  • Snight
  • Mark Dygert
    I like that in order to activate the caddy, I have to move my mouse away from where I was working, click a button then move the mouse back to where I was working, so I can move the caddy off to the side so I can see what I'm tweaking and THEN I can change the values... it is teh AWESOMEZ!
    [/end sarcasm]

The caddies are kind of helpful if your calling it from a keyboard shortcut, but its total garbage if you activate it from the command panel.

Personally... I don't like it being forced no matter what and it should be customizable. When people call for a UI overhaul its for more flexibility and ease of use when customizing the UI not crazy gimmicks that slow people down while offering less flexibility. Seriously some of this stuff shouldn't be a shock when it falls flat on its face...

I'm just glad that CAT is finally fully integrated and the new material editor is pretty nice, even if I find it a little clunky when shaders start to get pretty complex, thankfully the old editor is there to help navigate around.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hated them, but after a while i think its actually better, it may be just me but i liked that thing
  • Mark Dygert
    I've come around on them, after they changed how and where they pop up. Now they stay and pop up where you last placed them so that's nice.

They still have some issues if you place them too close to the right side of the screen.
    As you mouse over the buttons at the bottom the label causes the whole caddy to shift which makes the buttons moving targets and its slightly annoying.
    3dsmaxCaddyPos.gif
    But the solution is to not hug them so close to the right side. Not a big deal.

They still have issues when interacting with the spinners. The up arrows seem very arbitrary, and somehow linked to how much you've changed it.
    Change nothing clicking the arrow gets you: .01, .02, .03, ect. Logical and dependable.
    Change it and you start getting weirdness: .429, .483, .538 ect. Very weird and hard to dial in.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's pretty much 'accelerated', the same concept behind mouse acceleration when after a certain threshold of movement, you start getting tripled and double figures.

With Max on the other hand, it's basically how what figure you last stopped on, and multiply it by how many times you scrolled, and some other malarkey math of such.

Wish we could disable it, or pre-define dial amount. 0.05 for each spin CONSTANT would just be dandy for me for example.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    rather just have modifier keys make it default to say 0.1 for each spin, and got to .001 when holding shift, and maybe 0.5 while holding control.
  • Mark Dygert
    Ahh that makes sense Ace.

I like that idea too Passerby.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't mind them so much, it's just that the values don't behave like standard Max spinners. Especially when working with smallish-scale scenes (like we are required to match up with our engine) and using a Wacom tablet, they are just completely out of control. Regular spinner behaviour was fine, they should just go back to that.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    ive gotten used to them. its less glitchy in 2012 it seems. however i hate that when you enter a custom value and hit enter, you have to re-select the value to enter a new one.