Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 - turn off snapping hotkeys

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Peris polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if there's anyone else having the same problem as me with this. right now x, c and v are the default hotkeys for snapping to grid, curve and vertex in maya 2011, however I want to use those keys for other stuff, as i like to have my bottom keyboard keys assigned to basic modelling tools, and really don't use snapping that much. So I just assign my keys and remove them from the snap settings, no big deal right? But for some reason, even though they are not assigned to it in the hotkey editor, x, c and v are still toggling snapping for me, and it's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this happening/know a possible fix?

Replies

• nekked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I had this exact same problem, I like to hotkey those to pick verts, edges, and faces.

1)set up you hotkeys how you like them.
    2)find and edit hotkeysetup.mel (maya2011-scripts-startup folder)
    3)you'll see a bunch of entries for x, X, c, C, v, V etc and you need to comment them out by putting "//" without the quotes in from of the ones that you don't want to reset to the original values.

pretty sure thats all I did, but it was a while ago I set mine up and a total PITA to figure out. Gotta love how autodesk can't even manage to make hotkeys work correctly anymore.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    yeah I had this as well. Total PITA as nekked said.