Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Shiv

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
I would like to create the iconic wakeup scene from 28 days later.
flattening down his lonely trip through london into a 2d sidescrolling story where i attempt to capture the same feel as the movie.

Challenges -
☻ Converting a set of different scenes from a movie into a smoothly transitioning sidescrolling montage thing.
☻ Using UDK which I have very little map building experience in.
☻ Trying to create a visual style I can keep throughout.
☻ getting to the end, i tend to lose interest quickly... so that will probably be the biggest challenge personally.
☻ lots of stuff, never really attempted anything much.

Will try and do some more on the polycount collab but this is to good a comp to miss :(.

2d77mer.jpg

Replies

• duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    niiiice love this movie, should turn out well. youll need a bunch of trash and junk
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    World_planexport.jpg
    Trying to get a feel for how everything will fit together.
    Happy with the hospital bit apart from not enough trash / hidden deadness.
    It seems to unwind as it goes along.
    and terrible perspective, sorry about that.
    help/crits totally welcome! go wild :)
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! Loved this movie, great idea.

For the hospital scene, the two things that really stood out to me from the movie was all the phones off their hooks and the soda machines with sodas all over the ground. It looks like you have the soda machines in there but more of an after thought. They were the two things he interacted with in the hospital, I feel like they should play a bigger role in your scene. Thats just my two cents!

Keep going man, gonna be a fun one to watch.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet I loved that movie!
    As far as your concept, it seams youve got a fairly large level but it looks like mostly unique assests wich could be problematic texture wise.
    Still good luck, awsome theme ^^
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    @ nate
    Hmm, yeah you are right.
    I think i will flip the reception to the bottom of the map and drinks/phones to the top. Dont really want to extend an already long map XD.
    Will watch the wakeup again.. totally missed the phone stuff but i was tired and was busy screen capping.

@ Kharn
    Totally, loads of unique textures :\
    I think I want to go low poly with low res bold textures, will try to tile to the max and hide it with objects that can be repeated throughout... like cars/trash/hospital stuff.
    I guess its my only way to see just how far I can push a 4096
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I'll be joining Shiv on this project.

My challenges:
    -Learn UDK more, so far I've only managed to import an obj.
    -Stop slacking and finishing this project.
    -Making a "larger" scale environment. First time I really do a environment.
    -Make hand painted textures look as good as I can possibly get them.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Trying to find a way to make "tarmac" look nice at low spec, it descends into noise every time which is quite frustrating.
    gridtest1.jpg
    I like the bottom left.. more cobblestone or something, havent got that one tiling well yet.
    Top right is my attempt at standard tarmac.. it just looks messy and, meh...
    I might try just grey with yellow, straight lines.. might not work as an isolated piece like this tho :x

all are doodled in photoshop :D
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Shiv: For the tarmac, try blurring then running a cutout filter over it. Make larger blocks of color rather than a realistic presentation. It may help given the viewing distance you're going to have.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    forget the high frequency noise and look at the large frequency details you get at a junction like this... the darkening where cars put rubber down the painted lines....and most important...the splits in colour where new tarmac has been put down after utility companies have laid pipes/wires etc

i would look into doing a blended surface for the different colour tones and crackage/dirt and then alpha plane lines drains etc ontop
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed with the comments above, but I would use decals for all thoses things, tire marks (skids going into a wall ro something to keep that impression that something happened here)

And as SHEPEIRO said roads in London have all been dug up a couple of times to put cables and pipes down, again decals could work nicely for this.