Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Permanent

So here I am, waiting for my render to finish, trying to find something to do on my laptop with specs less than acceptable for INTENSE 3D work. Hmmm, lets browse polycount I say. Oh! The new challenge is up! Well, now I have something to do. So here is my plan :)

First off, challenges. (in order :)
1) I will be using UDK which I am not to experienced in.
2) This is my first challenge so keeping in the texture and poly count constraints could be difficult.
3) I haven't created to many environment before.

I want to choose a setting most people are not going to use so I have not decided my final setting just yet. Maybe a setting from a movie, District 9 has a cool setting, maybe Ill use that. We will just have to see as the day continues.

Now the schedule and deadlines, because if I don't set my deadlines, then it wont get done.
Today - decide on a final setting and start drawing some ideas for the setting.

By the end of the week (9/5) - Have a drawn setting and have finished blocking everything out with csg blocks.

By the end of 9/12 - start creating the trees and organics in the scene. Have about 33.333333% (haha) of them done, including materials, and in the scene by now.

By the end of 9/19 - continue with the organics. Finish 33.333333% more so now 66.666666% of the organics are done and in the scene.

By the end of 9/26 - finish all the organics in the scene.

By the end of 10/3 - start with the non-organics, mainly buildings and such. Have half of them done by now.

By the end of 10/10 - finish all the non-organics by now and have them placed in the scene. By now the scene should be finished except for lighting and all that. Start with the lighting and tweaking the layout of the scene.

By 10/22 - Have the scene finished by now and turn everything in!!

So there you have it! Time to get started! Good luck everybody!

Replies

• Permanent
    and here is a reference page.

refrencepage.jpg

So here is my idea, inspired by District 9, because I absolutely love that movie. The idea is that a space ship comes to earth and we must fly our space ship up there to investigate. As it turns out the aliens are hostile and you must fight your way through. At the beginning of the level, the left most part, you will be in a human spaceship. The human ship will be small compared to the alien ship. The scene will move left and you will see the human ship attached to the alien ship. There will be a huge style difference between the two. The human ship will be shiny and clean and polished, but the alien ship will be brown and falling apart with vines growing and slime everywhere. So there we go. I have my idea. Now I'm going to draw up my thoughts!
  • Permanent
    and here is a drawing of my ideas. It is rough but I believe it is a good enough start for me to start creating objects and such.
    Firstdesign.jpg

also I have a question, I am confused on uploading photos. When I try to upload a photo all I see is a long link to my photo but with others it is 'embedded' you could say in their text. Is it just me or do you guys see something different?
  • AtlusZMH
    Looks interesting, i was always disappointed with district 9's lack of scenes from inside the large ship :(

For the images, use a host like flickr or photobucket to upload your pics, then find the URL of the picture and put it inbetween these tags:

URLHERE

This will make your pics visible in your posts!

Good luck!
  • Permanent
    oh awesome thanks man! yeah I agree. Nevertheless, it has got to be one of my favorite movies of the year, followed by inception. hmmm. make a scene inspired by inception. crazy talk.
  • Permanent
    And here is a quick layout. From here I'm going to add some basic static meshes and basic materials. This is really the first time I have ever done anything besides tutorials in udk so if anybody has any tips then I would love to hear them!

layout.png