Home Technical Talk

3DS Max offset/zoom bug when duplicating

PhilipK
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
Hi, I've had this problem for a long time in different versions of max. I've been trying every now and then to google it up but haven't found any results.

When I clone things (shift drag), can be a face only, an element or a whole object, but when I shift drag in an orthographic viewport sometimes max offsets the object way off and zooms in a whole lot. Kind of like if I would clone my object in perspective view and while in a very weird angle accidentally move the object hundreds of miles... This is VERY annoying and I'm not even sure if it's something I'm doing weirdly or if there actually are any more people having this issue?

Thing is, it only happens sometimes and I'm not sure what I'm doing differently (if anything) when it does happen. I think it's always when I have grid snapping turned on anyhow.

Know this may be hard to answer, but if anyone has experienced something similar and came up with a fix I'd appreciate it very much!

Thanks

Replies

• Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the issue your having is with the `snap`.

When you have snap turned on, and max can`t find whatever option you want it to snap to - it freaks and places the edge, vert, object etc. is some craaazy far distance. I`m sure theres some technical logic behind it...?

My fix has been to
    a) don't forget to turn snap off when your not using it
    b) when you are using it: make sure that it appears to have 'connected' to what it is you're trying to snap to. and you can actually see where it is going. may require changing views for different snap options.

Doesn't fix the problem... but makes it more tolerable I guess. :)