Home Technical Talk

Maya clipping only when texture applied any ideas?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
This is kind of hard to explain so just look at the picture. At certian angles, the "yay" is correct, and how it should always look. At other angles the "aww" is not what it should be doing, because it then looks really weird and wrong. It affects more to the scene than this little snip bit. It's making it really hard to work.

MayaHelp.jpg

So, my question is if any of you know what's going on and how to fix it (Maya 2010). Normals are facing the correct way, backface culling I'm pretty sure is off, and it only does it while this texture (which does have a transparency in the alpha) is applied. It also did it while this texture had no alpha map.

Also tried: reversing normals, using a .mb instead of .ma file, deleting the transparency...probably more but that's what's coming to mind.

Final note, I exported what I had to UDK to test it, works just fine.

Thanks!

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    High Quality Render setting in viewport or not?

Check the options "Object Transparency Sorting" and "Polygon Transparency Sorting", they are found under the "Shading" menu in the viewport.

Are you using some form of transparency? Does it behave the same way with other materials?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've had a similar problem before when working with png's, when somehow I've left a tiny bit of transparency in a texture without realizing (but it looks solid)

and when next to an object which is supposed to have alpha transparency, sorting issues appear which seem baffling. in that case, duplicating the first texture over itself a few times solidifies the transparency (or disconnecting transparency in maya) so I guess i'm suggesting you check out the transparency on the other texture to be sure there is none

koddes viewport options should also do the trick though
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. I will say this image is not HQ render in the viewport but that doesn't make a difference. Will check everything else out.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygon Trans Sorting did it!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I'm still pretty much having the same problem, but it's only in HQ mode. I've done the trans sorting and I've duplicated my transparency texture over and over, saved it as a separate file and not a alpha channel. It's very baffling. It's apparently my texture. Any PS settings I should be double checking, use a 24 and not 32 bit targa file? Going to fiddle with this on my own as well.

Edit: I'm still open to suggestions, but I just decided to make two shaders and just assign the transparency to one and leave the other normal. It works in the view ports...the instructions for the art test didn't say how many shaders I could use so I figure I'm ok. Effin Maya.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Maya + Transparency in Viewport = Dodgy

At least in my experience. So your not alone about these kind of problems.