Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Visceral

Challenge
I have allways wanted to enter a competition here at polycount, geass this will be the first stuff i enter here really.
I want to improve my modelling skills, and focus on the texturing, since thats the thing that i have problems with.

What i will be creating with be a sidescrolling arabian village. Like a market place and such. Much inspired by Alladin but i might be going for a present day setup.

But i still want to work with handdrawn textures so the artstyle would be somewhat cartoonish.

I will continue to update this page as im coming along. As this is my first stuff i submit to Polycount i would prefer it if you go easy on the crits, im not a hardcore professional yet ;) just started school and im here to learn.

Tools
For this i will be using 3ds Max and UDK since ihave worked on alot of UDk mods and projects. I will however try to include Zbrush in my workflow as much as possible. And might include some Maya since i need to learn that moore for school.

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Nice subject, good luck with it!
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good luck matey

Ill be using UDK Max Zbrush and Photoshop also
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, thanks for the support. I have now gather all my reference data. Good thing i have a friend from the middle east that helped me get this material and get me some inspirational photos. Tomorrow ill begin with the planning phase.

What i want in there, how the story will tie the scenes together. What will go where, and such. I will keep you guys updated ;).
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok finally done with all the essential stuff. Now i want to get into some modelling so i can start showing off in this thread.

I have decided that i will go with a stylized middle eastern look. I should say arabian beacuse im going to try medival architecture with big palaces and Aladin stuff slums.

The Level will begin in the Slums, very dark and small iles,where our hero would possibly fight theives and thugs. Then moove to the Bazaar, the market place of the arabian town. And then possibly end in some kind of Castle Gardens.

The castle gardens will be the hardest for me. Since im not familliar with working with vegitation.

Sorry if i have been stalling abit, but im mooving to another town and packing and organizing the moove has taken alot of time.