Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Sci-Fi

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
I've started a new project on my spare time, first time creating a female so I'm going to need some crits mainly about proportions. :) The idea is to get some kind of Mass Effect-esque armor on her later. I need your help guys! :thumbup:

Paint-overs/comments/crits are much appreciated! Help me out before I get further into the project.

I'm going for Sexy/Smoldering (why? because everytime I try to make a character smile they end up looking creepy). Obvious choices of reference:
QLoVAymCM.jpg

Don't mind details for now, right now I'm looking at getting the proportions right.

(a bit older pic of the start of the face, the neck has gone through some minor changes)
file.php?id=1657&mode=view

The basemesh I created isn't perfect but it'll do for now, I will go through a retopo-phase later, to get the in-game mesh.
2m3p9us.jpg
file.php?id=1669&mode=view

a47iw8.jpg
EDIT: Forgot the butt view!

Replies

• Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi man, did you have any sketch out concept?..so that we can roughly see what kinda direction are you going for this character. Cus currently is too general to critic.

Btw, the butt looks a bit weird, dunno maybe the gap (at the lower area) between them is too big?..but I guess shouldn't be a problem since you're not gonna make her expose the butt later...right?....cus with this statement "EDIT: Forgot the butt view!" you kinda emphasize too much on the butt to look right..hehehh

_Revel
  • hitmanrebel
    Offline / Send Message
    hitmanrebel polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty nice!
    Only problem I see would be the number of 5 edge intersections you have on the shoulder upper chest. Even tho they keep you from having Ngons or triangles, they can cause deformation problems when being animated.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel wrote: »
    Hi man, did you have any sketch out concept?..so that we can roughly see what kinda direction are you going for this character. Cus currently is too general to critic.

Btw, the butt looks a bit weird, dunno maybe the gap (at the lower area) between them is too big?..but I guess shouldn't be a problem since you're not gonna make her expose the butt later...right?....cus with this statement "EDIT: Forgot the butt view!" you kinda emphasize too much on the butt to look right..hehehh

_Revel

Naw man, I'm kinda winging it right now. First and foremost I just want the proportions to look good, and about the butt, yeah I like them that's why it's important :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick concept and a change to the proportions, check it out! :) C&C always appriciated!

35aowmx.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    34t8g9f.jpg

A little more detailing to get a sense of the detail.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi Chris, the second one is much better looking in terms of detail. For my personal taste, I like how you use 2 or 3 colors only in the armor, but probably I tone down the color a bit more, since it's a battle suit, you don't want people to spot you easily from the far by the bright color armor.

Btw, have you consider to integrate some kind of "weapon" in one of her arms?..be it a canon or just plain gauntlet to deal a great damage to your foe (for reference you can see Yasutora "Chad" Sado's gauntlet from Bleach) to break up the symmetry on your design right now. I like to see the contrast between girl and her huge weapon in one character.

_Revel
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea breaking up the symmetry, but for the sake of keeping the body diffuse-mirrored I'll probably create a stand-alone weapon for her. I might try to come up with a helmet as well, or base the helmet on a design that's already in Mass Effect.

Regarding the colors, yeah I know it's kinda vivid, but the Mass Effect armors are vivid in their colors. If we take a look at the first chapters of ME2, we see Blue Suns, Red Blood Pack etc, all having highly saturated armors and it works. I'm not aiming to be realistic in the end. :) I will however take what you said in mind and try to come up with some cool variations once I get the design settled.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Ah, I see..if you have some kind of direction that already settled it's best to follow it, otherwise it'll look "out of place" and I haven't play Mass Effect game to be honest, so I don't really familiar with the design..hehehh..Right, looking forward for more updates!

_Revel
  • grantthompson
    Offline / Send Message
    grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
    Concept looks great dude.. looks like it would fit perfectly into the Mass Effect world
    Can't wait for an update :)
  • Kristoffer Björklund
    This looks promising mate :) be sure to think about the overall sillhuette. ^^ To make your creation more eye catching. :)

Cheers
    Kris
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm creating the armor for her now, some sub-d modelling, it takes a while to get a good flow. In the end I feel like it's the texture-work that's gonna bring this baby home. I'm gonna try to use some emissive maps on this one as well.