Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Classic Doom shotgun, based on Mossberg (large images)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Hey there, some of you might have seen my WIPs posted in the WAYWO thread. Thought I'd post here, as I'm close to starting the lowpoly, but first I'd like to get any crits or feedback.

I'm not planning to animate it, so as you see it here will be how it's modeled and baked as a lowpoly.

Also, I want to make it something that would be uniquely Doom.. I plan to make it fairly worn, perhaps do some engraving on the side.. I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions will be very welcome.

render4.png
render5.png
render6t.png

My main issue is the ironsights. I can't find any decent refs on especially the rear sight. I'm not a gun expert so I don't know how my improvisation holds up.. anyone who can help out? :) Also, if there are any parts that would be visibly welded, please let me know, as I want to add any welds etc.

I type too much. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy :)

Replies

• Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    that is one dope ass shotgun, can't comment on the sight as i'm no gun expert sorry but it looks heaps good and i can def imagine having some fun with it
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    How many tris?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Man, I love your renders. Care to share a bit about your lighting setup and materials?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks like a solid high res model.
    Inspires me to start modeling my own. ^^

You could add some tape or wrappings around the butt or what it's called. The thing you put against your shoulder. Oh how my un-nerdiness shines through! >.<

Keep up the great work!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really nice, really solid high-poly work :) Looking forward to more progress.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

felipefrango: Thanks! I use this material here, no modifications: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69829

I follow the instructions there, just that I use more saturated lighting. Otherwise I just wing it, mr spotlight from each side (fairly far away). Just make sure one is warm coloured and the other is cool :)

Mmm freshly baked maps. AO and normals in UDK model viewer. Tri-count sits on 3020.

gXnQl.png
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    There were a few small normal map errors, fixed up. Onto texturing :) base colours and wood texture, no spec

Ntz2k.png

EDIT: Got some feedback, adjusted the wood scale:

1zDjA.png
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    A little progress... just diffuse work still, no spec yet. Oh, plus a reflection mask. I plan to add all the small nics and details, and woodgrain to the normal map later, too. and the design on the side is just a layer, probably wont stay. I would like to do a more elaborate design, if I can think of something! feedback, crits whatever welcome!

Wood spec looks really wrong but as I said I'm just using the diffuse multiplied atm

AgwEv.jpg
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're doing what I think you're doing with the wear and tear, and that trigger is in-fact brass then you should dull it quite a bit with only the part your finger would touch being shiny, like brass does :)

Great looking shotgun though. Reference the sights, they look a little too high on the back, looking a little like they could be broken. You only really ever get 5mm or so on rear iron-sights.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. I'd use a cooler color on the wood's spec. Like a blue-gray.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I've started modeling my own Mossberg, and I'm really impressed with your highpoly.

Really good work on it!
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it, and looking forward to seeing your Mossberg Disting :)

About the sights, I know they're not accurate. What I later found out that I actually modeled were guards for the sight itself, and not the sight.. Not going to change it now, but it doesn't bug me too much

Some texture progress.. still don't know what design I should put on the side of the receiver there!

B60mo.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good Simmo, Just be careful with the Stretching on the wood, it looks like if your wood was too much stretched, the wood texture you used has a bad tilling since the waves of the wood starts all over again and they are repeated on the buttock and make it more brown, in my opinion it looks to yellow like pine wood. ;)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    This is coming along great Simmo.

Only thing I would crit is the areas where the hands would be placed should be worn down. Not just scratches but worn and faded.

And perhaps the wood is a tad too saturated. But thats hard to say becuase different monitors or and such..

anyway. looks great, will be a great portfolio piece :)
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers for the feedback! I desaturated the wood a bit, and added some wear and grime where it would be held, and added some more small details. Apart from the engraving I'm getting close to calling it done.

3point3.png

I'm not too happy with this engraving at the moment.. it doesn't look like engraving for one, and I'm not sure of the design. I might either scrap the theme and go for a more general design, or just not have any design at all. Any tips regarding this sort of thing is much appreciated :) And of course feedback and crits
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mate I reckon you should get native american on the engraving, would look ace, feathers and such. I like the grip detail on the wood :)

2010NativeAmerican.jpg

the arrows look great on this

native-american-vectors-promo.jpg

Some feathers a la the bottom left image

*Edit* Sorry about the huge image I dunno how to scale it with bb code :/
  • CapN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along nicely! Is the butt on this one supposed to be plastic or rubber?
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wear and tear is really subtle, but is working very nicely! on the subject of the engraving look at these two examples, a shotgun here and a more intricate MP5k here, I think this kind of style would look better than the one you have now