Home Technical Talk

PS CS5: HUD Color picker

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
So, Adobe finally put one in CS5, but it is annoying.

Has anyone found a way to open the HUD color picker in another way other than holding alt, shift, and right clicking? It's either completely hidden in the menus, or not editable similar to alt rclick drag brush size change (which is awesome!).

Would love to make it shift spacebar (who needs to pan in all documents anyway...), or a single keypress. Is it accessible via script?

stumped... any ideas?

Replies

• felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hah, didn't know about this feature, thanks. Doesn't seem like something I'd be using a lot though, unless there really is another way of getting to it.
  • xk0be
    Didn't know about that, pretty cool, I guess I'll just assign it to a wacom button.

edit guess you can't do that. great.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    They could have used a more intuitive way to pull that up, like, I dunno, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-T+C+P+Leftclick+Rightclick.

Jesus, who does their human interface design, anyway?
  • LosPescados
    HAven't found it, I believe they don't allow it to be assigned to another hotkey. :/
    But why would you want to pick a color from your hud ?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Someone really needs to create a painting program for texture artists/concept artists.
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    I hate how they add some "cool" new feature... and then break its knees with horrible shortcut keys! :( I Googled this for ages a while back, and it seems everything that involves clicking is hardcoded.

It's also pretty retarded that your cursor starts out on the 2d Saturation-Value box, so that any mouse movement changes the values, requiring you to hold space to "freeze" your selection while you pick your Hue on the outer ring. Seems logical that if they started with the Hue, which is 1d, you'd be able to move into the Saturation-Value box without any retarded space-holding.

Fun side-note: From CS4 onwards, you can change your brush size and hardness by holding alt-right-click-drag. In CS5, moving your cursor up-down or left-right defines whether it's the size or hardness that you're changing. :) Not that I like using stylus buttons, but this might make me start using them.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha guess this feature isn't well documented :)

It was something they had shown early on but it kind of went to the wayside after content aware fills and the brush simulation i guess.

In general its a combination of problems across applications:

- color picker in CS5 is not exposed as a menu feature, but hidden. You can change the style in the Preferences, but can only access it via a hotkey.
    - Wacom drivers do not allow you to set key modifiers on keystrokes in the button set up menu, similar to other mouse driver interfaces.

Ideally, Wacom could add checkboxes to their button config. Dreamworld, adobe could add it to a menu, in window or something. Its a similar feature to the new eyedropper, where its size is very restrictive and obtrusive, yet has no configuration. Makes me sad :(

Know i asked before, but do we still have an Adobe guy lurking here? There are a few things about photoshop that i think could be changed to benefit not only the Game Artist and Development aspect of the userbase, but also print, web, fine art, photography, and otherwise.

Ely: the brush size/hardness is one of my absolute favorite addition to photoshop, its simple and easy to do. I would prefer the HUD color picker bound to shitf+spacebar. While i can see the use in panning in every open document in some occasions, its not necessarily a feature that makes me happy all the time :)
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Woo! :P I had an ah-ha! moment when I discovered it, but I'm so used to using the square brackets from the earlier PS versions (and not having to press stylus side-buttons) that I haven't gotten used to using it.
  • Aaron_Fang
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron_Fang polycounter lvl 17
    See Here for a tool to remap the HUD hotkey.