Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Work

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
iansmithartist polycounter lvl 13
Just a place to dump my environment work, I think I'd like to keep this an on going thread for all my work (if I can keep it up.)

So I'v started with this idea I had for an environment, no small inspiration coming from places like Kolwoon walled city and Hong Kong corner houses, etc. But if I take it far enough I'd like to give the impression that this is a fictional environment where there are a large number of cultures and religions all taking refuge in a single city. Hence why I'm playing with the idea of having signs in multiple languages, Chinese, Hindi or Urdu, Spanish, English, etc, the major different languages. A mish-mash of cultures and identities. Just an idea... lets see where it goes.

This was the initial block-out...
viewport0608201015502pm.jpg

I then worked on the building fronts.

I worked up some simple high-poly models and baked them to a flat plane (I modelled the high-poly with this in mind, i.e. few 90 degree angels.)

I then modelled the low poly models, used a simple planar projection to map the UVs and then tweaked any areas that showed some stretching. Then used a bend modifier for the curved corners. Because they're fairly high up and some what out of the players of the reach I decided most of the detail would come from the texturing maps, rather spending time getting a perfect high poly bake. Also if I decide to use the texture on a distant building I'll also wanted the textures to function on a flat plane.

viewport2208201013538pm.jpg

When I have some more props in place I will probably play around with the composition and move buildings around. At the moment, behind the camera there are a few building shaped cut-outs just used to cast some interesting shadows. Eventually I would like this to be taken out and have this function as a playable mini environment, not just from the one point of view.

I have also just gone onto start some signs and billboards which so far Im not really happy with. Also unfortunately my language skills are only as good as Google Translate, I try to check all translations as much as possible but I can never be sure they're right.

viewport2208201014122pm.jpg

And a few other screens.
viewport2208201013711pm.jpg

viewport2208201013711pm.jpg

And the diffuse map for the building fronts.
texture2208201013947pm.jpg

Replies

• wi_2
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    viewport0608201015502pm.jpg this looks awesome!!.. kindof lost it's power in the textured version..
    try and get it back I'd say...

Looking very cool overall though!!.. great great job!
  • Sandro
    Your ambient light is too powerfull. Tone it down a notch to introduce more contrast.

If you want to keep that nice overexposed look untextured version has you need to make textures less contrasty, so that they are not fighting with lighting.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    You may w ant to think about turning off Screen Space Ambient occlusion, and just bake your AO directly into the light maps with beast. IF you check out the bottoms of your pillars in the textured screenshot there is a gross SSAO rim around them.
  • iansmithartist
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 - Yeah id lowered the light intensity in later screen shots so I could see more of the textures. I'm still working on the lighting and its by no means final.

Sandro - I was experimenting with an overexposed look, finding hard to find a balance with the dark and light areas, thanks for the tip.

Virtuosic - I have missed out a few of the UDK updates and I think the SSAO was new to this build and I haven't really played with the new AO settings, i'll take a look.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks promising, the modeling work can hold its own. Not sure about some textures though. The thing that bumps me off are the windows, the second texture on the left is really too clustered with both planks, cloth and colored glass and in tiny frames its really hard to make out the details. Go with some reflection on the glass too.
  • scaryhands
    totally agree with some of the others, it was really strong as a clay render, something happened with the textures though, not saying they need work, but something needs to be worked with the lighting or placement of textures. AWESOME modeling!!!
  • iansmithartist
    Offline / Send Message
    Havn't had chanced to work more of the props, but I had a play with the post process effects, experimenting with an over exposed look, but I dont know if its too much. Probably improve as I add more finished textured props.

screencap01_ppe.jpg
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    nice lighting!
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    The left one appears too washed out, and the SSAO filter being too low quality makes it look dirty. I'd go for the right one.

But before playing with postfx, make sure your lighting is good. Postfx enhance a good lighting but can hardly replace one.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i know this is a silly question but can you tell me how to got your clay render (untextured) to look like that? all my clay renders look awful
  • Maxim
    Judging from what I see, this is a lot of modular pieces. How did you go about making the curvy wall part?. Just a bend modifer? I try using that for my work but it never seems to bend right on the grid.