Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roger from Hellboy - WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fingus polycounter lvl 11
Hey there Polycount. Been a member for a while but this is my first time posting. About time I start using the social sides of the internet for more than just Reddit and Facebook...

So, as for my project. It's the last weeks of summer break and I got a part time job as well, so that means I don't really have that much time to do a project from the bottom up. That why I plan on using a maquette I did in zBrush for my Organic Modeling class last semester. Originally I planned on just tightening it up a bit and add a dash of finish to it, but then I figured it would be more interesting to turn him into a sculpture of Roger, the homunculus from Hellboy. My maquette already got really beefy and stocky proportions that would fit Roger, and I was planning on taking him in a rather stylized hard surface direction like this:

showoff_fibulburg.jpg

Which I think would work well with the fact that he is essentially a golem built out of clay.

As for the maquette, this is what the basemesh looked like before I brought it into zBrush:

Screen%20shot%202010-08-19%20at%2011.01.05%20PM.jpgScreen%20shot%202010-08-19%20at%2011.00.51%20PM.jpg

Pretty rubbish looking huh? I didn't really care about it looking right as long as the general proportions were right and that the topology was good. All the fleshing out and detailing would be done in zBrush anyway so any tweaking done at that point would be a waste.

Here is what he looks like currently, front and back:

roger_1.jpgroger_2.jpg

Any feedback is extremely welcome. I already know that his head might be a bit large, so I'm going to tweak that a bit. I'll be adding the vent in his chest and the block in his crotch with zBrush's primitives. I don't have any plans of adding the vest that he starts wearing after a while, but I might if I get the time. The idea at the moment is to make a final render where he is in his dormant state.

And finally. Some of my reference pictures:

roger.jpg3847544305_98c1c02c62.jpgGuy%20Davis%20Roger.jpg

Replies

• Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooops! Turns out the links to my images were broken, didn't catch that when I first posted because my account still had to be verified. I fixed that now. Not used to using Picasa as an image host for forums. :P
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, the basemesh looks really strange on the anatomy front. Your sculpt turned out pretty good. I would grab some anatomy reference before you went any further. The arms and the neck look a tad strange.

I really like the first mask you did. It's got a nice style to it.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update. I added the odd box in his crotch and the hole in his chest. First time trying out GoZ, it's incredibly handy!

roger_3.jpg
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the face to make him look more like Roger. Because BPRD is drawn by many different artists there's no real standard on how he looks, but most of them seem to agree on high cheekbones, heavy brow, wide mouth and sunken eyes.

roger_4.jpg