Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aran Anderson - What I am working on

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Aran Anderson polycounter lvl 12
Delete thread? Moved to Sketchbook section...

Replies

• Aran Anderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    removed old work....
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    GUN = Looks good. Getting some funky edges by the trigger though. Normal maps seem a bit too strong, I'm not sure. Got refs? Also, wires?

GIRL = Looks alright, but could use a lot more depth. Push one of those background bombs farther back, add some contrast in size. Switch up the angles too (on the z axis).

The BG is mostly sky, but the sky is never just a flat blue. It's a gradient of darker blue at the horizons during the day, navy and midnight blues and night, mixed in with some pink/yellow/red in mornings and evenings. The clouds are all the same kind but at different altitudes and this is never the case IRL. Different altitudes produce different kinds of clouds.

As for the girl, proportions of the left thigh is a little off. Needs some forshortening at the angle its pointing away from us. Pose-wise, there's not much of a sense of falling. Her skirt should be flying up (you can have her hands or something strategically placed) and so should her hair, whipping around her face (against, strategically placed so we can still see her features).

Highlights and shadows are never pure black or white. they are usually whatever the colour of the lightsource is overlayed over the colour of the base material. Shadows are the darker colour of the base material discorded with the opposite colour of the light on the colour wheel. (I'm not 100% sure on this, more like 80 but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Aran Anderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    removed old work....
  • Aran Anderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    removed old work....
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    The only issue I can see with the stielhandgranate is the texture spacing, you have a lot of room where you could scale up the unwrap at. Other than that the texture itself looks sharp and well painted.
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    You should pay much more attention to references. It's not a Colt 1911, it's a poor copy so far, even for a lowpoly model. Find references with different angles of view and you'll understand where is the problems, I'm sure.
    And don't rush to create normals - pay close attention to geometry. First, create a highpoly, detailed model, and then lowpoly based on it, not vice versa. And after that you'll good to go with normal maps.