Home Technical Talk

How to set up UVs for hair

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all. Just finished building the low poly for my character I'm working on, build the hair using poly strips and now I'm wondering how to go about setting up my UVs for all of the polystrips I just laid down. For my UVs I usually use UVlayout pro and tweak in max.

Do you guys have any suggestions for possible ways to unwrap the uvs for texturing? Thanks!

Replies

• catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you could post a picture that would be very helpful

Don't forget to use mirroring where possible, that will save you a lot of space and time.

I never had any problems just using the default unwrapping in max. If your hair strips aren't attached, just grab em all and hit Relax then lay them out in a sensible way

usually a good idea to position them roughly in the same way as the hair is constructed as the model to help the painting process.

if the strips are attached, just hit Flatten mapping, then stitch them together as you like, and hit relax. shouldnt take long at all
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ?ui=2&ik=dd4c0b5d7d&view=att&th=12a7b27844bbc655&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gcxdnuzy0&zw

Let me know if you have any suggestions... I'd like to set up the UVs so I don't have to paint each strand individually... but instead have like 4-5 strips of hair that I use over and over.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine wrote: »
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=dd4c0b5d7d&view=att&th=12a7b27844bbc655&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gcxdnuzy0&zw

Let me know if you have any suggestions... I'd like to set up the UVs so I don't have to paint each strand individually... but instead have like 4-5 strips of hair that I use over and over.
    That link... is inside your gmail account, we can't see it. Try using dropbox, imageshack or the attach feature.

Without seeing the hair style its going to be hard to suggest much. But here are some general ideas:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I've never done it for hair, but for stuff like that what I'd usually do is just UV the first one and then duplicate that mesh over and over again for all the other strands so that they'd all be UV'd already.

I know this doesn't help you now, but for future reference and such... :P
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for being such a pain. Trying to remote to my PC at home from my phone and do this. Lets see if this works..
    40237_10150253334950171_594440170_14243101_3558202_n.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine wrote: »
    photo.php?pid=13512547&id=594440170
    Nope now its buried on your facebook page. (See attachment for error)

Click go advanced and under Additional Options click Manage Attachments and upload your image with your post.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morphMap is pretty awesome for quickly laying out flawless strip UVs in Max, and it's free.
    http://users.skynet.be/arketip/arketip_morphMapENG.htm

More UV tools/techniques:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTextureCoordinates
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm... that looks promising Eric, but I think it might tile too often around the curls?
    You could also try Pipe Peel in TexTools http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

It probably would of been easier to do the hair with rectangle splines, they create great UV's for this sort of thing. It's almost always easier to do a few pieces of hair, unwrap them and copy them around. It's a royal pain to unwrap them after the fact...

You could convert what you have over to splines.
    Select a ring, click connect to create a loop down the center of the hair strand
    Then in edit poly click "Create Shape", which will give you a spline
    Set it to rectangle and turn on Generate Mapping Corrds, which will give you great UV's
    Then delete the back faces and the old geometry
    With a little scripting you could automate the process to once click.

Or you could apply the UVW Map modifier (not regular UVW Unwrap) uncheck "Real World Map Size" and set it to face. Which will map each poly to the 0-1 space.
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since you're already done with the hair mesh placement, I'd say select out some hair strips
    to use as templates for UVLayout's 'copy UVs' capability. So dial in those 4-5 strips
    in terms of flattening/alignment, then just select the remaining hairs accordingly that
    you want to copy the UV's to...should be fairly fast and with proper variety you will
    get away from too much of a repeated strand on the curls areas (depending on your
    texture work).
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent suggestions all around! Thanks guys. Wailingmonkey, I've been using UVLayout to unwrap characters for some time now and I've never noticed the Copy UVs button. I'm at work now so I'll have to give it a shot later but it sounds very promising.. But it wouldn't work if the strips have different amounts of polys in each would it? (not that that's too difficult to fix). Either way if it works that's exactly what I was looking for. :)

In the future I'll have to make sure to do the UVs before I start to go crazy placing strips. I was having too much fun with the strip painting in Wrapit.

Much thanks, guys! If there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them as well.

And that HairTechniques wiki page is invaluable. Love it.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm.. I was playing with the Copy UVs and because the polystrips aren't similar so it doesn't appear to be working. What if I were to lock the top and bottom edges of a polystrip in UV space so that I could simply flatten it out and then do the same for each one, laying one over another in a few different stacks until I had 5-6 stacks that I could start painting the hair on? Would that be possible?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morphMap can do each strand in one click, mapping each to fit the 0-1 space. From there it would be a simple task to select the similar islands and rescale them to fit whatever your atlas layout is going to be.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great - I'll try it later today. Thanks Eric!