Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Ron Frölich / Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
I was updating my portfolio lately and thought it might be a good idea to ask you guys for some critique about it..

Ron Frölich / Environment Artist

sam_2.jpg

riot_shield.jpg

stairs1.jpg

I always liked the sort of design I had, until recently I wondered if I should add subpages for each asset showing more technical stuff like wireframes or the texturesheets. The problem is, that I don't have all the source files anymore, so some of the assets would have to do without wireframe or texture sheets.

What's your take on that?
Should I just add it for the ones I have, should I kick out the ones I don't have any source files for anymore or is this a silly idea in general?

Thanks..

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    By the sounds of it you might as well and then do the same when you have even better stuff to show or take the designs you already have and take it to the next level.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I like your stuff, especially the scene from a movie. It would be good if you could add more pictures of that scene for example and yeah, wireframes and stuff for the rest of your assets(if they're available). You should also add the texture files. Great work!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    How the heck did you spend 15k triangles on that missile launcher? I think you could convert probably 12-14k of those triangles to normal mapped detail and it would look essentially the same. It just seems like an incredibly inefficient prop. I don't particularly like the design of it much either, I'd recommend scrapping it and creating a new one from scratch.

I really like the movie scene, but I think you should include a watermark or insert on the image to show that it was a collaboration and you didn't create all the assets yourself. You should also break down exactly what assets you made (I know it says a breakdown is coming soon).

The gun looks good, no crits there. The riot shield should have more of the detail normal mapped, it looks too expensive in terms of tri count.

Overall I feel like you aren't using normal maps as effectively as you should, there are a lot of small details across the props that are being left as models instead of being converted to normal maps.

I don't think it is necessary to put how long it took you to make an asset. Whenever I see those numbers I just ignore them because of how easy it is to lie about stuff like that. And for portfolio pieces, you should be taking your sweet time to make it as awesome as possible, not trying to beat the clock. You'll have plenty of time to work fast in production, and speed comes with experience.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I think you have too many single props, and not enough full environments. Download Unity or UDK and start by putting in your bench and hydrant. Add a few more props, some terrain, maybe some buildings and you have yourself a full environment.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    If you did that missile launcher from the cgtuts tutorial i would remove it. the other stuff looks great though.
  • Insulaner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
    If you did that missile launcher from the cgtuts tutorial i would remove it. the other stuff looks great though.

I didn't. I have seen that there's a tutorial about it while I was looking for some reference pics, and started to worry, if I should even do it, since people would probably jump to this conclusion..

PredatorGSR, the polycount on some of the assets could probably be lowered by removing bolts and smaller details and leaving them entirely to the normal map. But the missile launcher for example is rather big and I imagined the bolts around the lower plates could be an intereseting detail once you get closer to it.

About the scene from a movie scene, I credited the guys who I worked together with after the "more details" link. I'll add something to the front page, don't want people to think I'm trying to mark this all as my own.

Good point about the timing, I'll get rid of it once I'm back home.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    3000+ triangles for a fire hydrant might be a little high too, that's also a tutorial over at cgtuts? :D
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Insulaner! Long time no see man :)

Very nice portfolio but I get the feeling that you are more of a prop artist than an env artist judging by the selection of pieces. Perhaps you could add a couple of full environments to spice things up?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That clue scene is awesome haha.

Overall your stuff is decent. Plenty of room to improve but you have a good start. The props are indeed a little high poly...Try to get those nice and optimized and it would be beneficial to show wireframes of them so people can see how clean your modeling is (or isnt)

The I am Legend scene looks nice..mainly the environment. I think the car looks a tad lumpy. The quality doesn't seem to match the rest of the scene, which makes it stick out a bit to me.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    awesome work bro, just wanted to point out a small typo, "Sillies are small porops, that are fun to do on a sunday afternoon. These are mine."

im pretty sure "porops" should be "props"