Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tea Monster's Portfolio Crits

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
Hey, I'm on the job trail and I've re-done my portfolio after having a less than devastating response over the last few months.

I'm aiming to get a job doing something 3D. I'm ultimately aiming for some kind of game job, either next-gen or iPhone based. I'm not sure if my game stuff is quite up to scratch yet. When I have a few more next-gen pieces, I'm going to put together a dedicated game-art portfolio.

Until that time though, I'm pimping my 2D and 3D general work. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know if there is anything that needs work or if you can see why I've got a cool response so far.

www.owenegan.co.nr

Thanks.

Replies

• Intermission
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Tea Monster,

I checked out your portfolio and over all it is a nice professional layout but the problem is your lacking quality content. Your biggest downside that I can see if that your textures are not to next gen quality.

If you are aiming towards a iPhone dev job then post some low poly models to prove that. If it is next gen then work on your textures.

Dont take this personally, just trying to help you out.

Check out this DVD from Eat3D which does an outstanding job of going over next gen texturing.

http://eat3d.com/texturing
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No probs on that. I've got to get a few more next gen things together before I do the game-specific portfolio.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I feel like some of the designs aren't very well thought out. It feels like you sat down and created whatever came to mind. The result of that kind of workflow is that the pieces feel improvised and a bit random. The walker and big daddy are examples of this. I think you should start with some strong concept art you find online as the base for your next couple pieces.

I also think you're confusing game art with handheld art. A good game art piece can look as detailed as your ATAT, it just uses more tricks to fake stuff. But right now it feels like you think 3D = detailed art while Game Art = shitty low res art. Your game art can and should be just as detailed as your 3d stuff.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the steam walker, the rocket trooper and one or two others were from CG Society comps. The MP3 players and thumb drives were done at SanDisk for product mock-ups and training vids - so it's been an interesting ride.

I'm just learning that you can have just as good quality from your game models - that's why I'm concentrating at the moment on the 2D and general 3D stuff. I'm working on my game models and I'm going to do a dedicated game portfolio when I've got some better stuff.