Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP SplitSecond. A sci fi setting in UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
Hi! First post over here in polycount i think. Nice to be here. Me and a friend of mine are working on our final portfolio pieces before we are applying for internship. We decided to create a Sci-fi environment and some characters.

About the project:

The goal of this is to evolve into a game. Since there are only two of us we wanted to create a game that was fairly easy for the two of us to do (we are artists, not scripters or programmers). We also wanted something that would serve well to show off the assets we created.

SO: we decided to create an environment frozen in time and let the player experience the story and setting through exploration. When the player starts she will not know where she is and whats going on. She can observe that time is standing still and that something is wrong. As she goes around the space station (thats where they are) she learns more about what is going on by observing people who are frozen in whatever action they were doing when time froze, and by reading documents and learning more about the station. There are also 1 or 2 other people on the station that are free to move around in this frozen moment and you have to figure out if they are friend or foe and what they want.

THIS IS NOT A TIME MANIPULATION GAME, since there are a few of them out there and that would also require scripting and animation and we are a little pressed for time, so we decided to do the best looking still we can.

On to the pictures.
We are stating with the station security mess hall. This is what we got so far.

stationWIP01.jpg
stationWIP02.jpg
stationWIP03.jpg
stationWIP04.jpg

There are two different groups of characters for now (space marines and aliens) and they are frozen in fighting positions all over the ship.

SpaceMarineWIP01.jpg

any and all comments are welcome. if you have any questions about the gameplay or think we should change something, plz write.
thanks =)

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Your latest character bust reminds me too much of the designs from the game Haze. You may want to change it up a bit in some way.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thought id post another update of the character, havent had much time to work on with it this weekend so havent gotten very far.

ShadowForce - thanks for pointing that out, im basing the helmet design on this concept. The diff and normalmap will differentiate it enought from the haze character i think. But ill be on the lookout not to stray to close to that design.

charconcept.jpg

This is the update for now:

SpaceMarineWIP02.jpg
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    As a start I feel it's a bit randomly detailed even while it's not fully blocked out, you might want to make the general shape perfect first, then start adding all those little lines

And I just have to point out that that is one of the "LMS: KILLBOOK OF A BOUNTY HUNTER" illustrations by Adonihs on DA http://adonihs.deviantart.com/art/LMS-GABRIEL-UNLOADED-169922400?q=boost%3Apopular+in%3Adigitalart%2Fdrawings%2Fscifi&qo=30

Not so much a "concept"...I just felt bad for it :( awesome stuff he has and he's done a lot of work for those so credit where it's due.

It's his property and all btw, also sold as a book, just wanted to set the connection straight is all if you're going to get inspired by it even more (I knew I had seen that helmet in somewhere, but not Haze, thanks for posting the inspiration and clearing my mind :P)
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, another update, finished the block for everything, going to start to go in and upgrade everything to HIGHPOLY!!

Skyway - You are right, I realized it after working with the head, i went in waay to early with the details and it took forever. so i just started using simpler shapes to build the different parts. I also used a basemesh i downloaded from Zbrushcentral that JLCG was kind enough to post here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=67892.

Also, thanks for posting the info about that character, didnt know there was more to him then the one concept i found online

Im thinking about adding something to make a more interesting silhoutte. Right now I only have the holster and some belt pouches to break up the symmetry and im wondering what more to add. If anyone has any suggestions id love to hear them. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that he is not a space marine in the warrior sense. He is part of station security so cant go crazy with war-gear. Im thinking about some kind of baton or secutiry stick.

heres the update for today (still doing the feet)

SpaceMarineWIP03.jpg
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    My eyes are drawn to the armorplated abs :D It's a matter of style, but I don't like them personally.

If he's security he could only need some leg and arm protectors with a sortofa kevlar vest or jacket, maybe shoulderpads like you have there for added style. I assume that you've meant to close the suit, but it does not tell if it's meant to be spaceproof (is it?) and if not then why the heavy plating if he's not a "soldier" type of guy? I could understand them if he would have to go outside from time to time, debris and such.

Questions questions, the silhouette looks good, but the details tell a different story than what you're telling about him :)

Editing : Actually, if you look at Adonihs's character, he pretty much has what I'm talking about :d