Home Technical Talk

Photoshop: disabling web help docs

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
moose polycount sponsor
I don't know if I am the only one who experiences this problem with Photoshop (CS3 and CS4 versions), but when viewing the layer styles window (layer properties), Photoshop sometimes decides on its own that I REALLY need its help. It will then open up 5-18 help windows in my browser, or as it just did to me: add 10 every time i click on photoshop after it auto-tabs me to the web browser. Was pretty hilarious until it started crashing Chrome, and i had 213 tabs (and climbing every time i focused photoshop).

Does any one know how to completely disable photoshop's help feature, so it can never, ever, ever do this to me again? The internet failed me and i couldn't find anything - thought I'd ask :)

infinitephotoshophelp.jpg

Replies

• Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Ha, this has happened to me a few times. I can see it being really frustrating if it happens frequently, especially since it makes my computer hang for a bit as it opens all those tabs.

I always assumed I had just done something really stupid and Photoshop was mocking me.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    This happens in CS2 as well with the offline "help center" windows. I'm really not sure why this happens, but I noticed it far more in XP than in vista or 7.

helpfulcenter.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I always thought that was a ram issue ie as you start running out of memory the help files go beserk. I used to get it in pshop 7 even
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    What the.... i never had this once but looks kinda funny and frustrating.
    What about adding photoshop to your firewall or hosts lists, so that it doesn´t try to communicate with the internet?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    happened several times to me as well, though not on a daily basis. I always assumed that PS was broken- guess it is to some extend.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    I remember this being an issue since version 6 when they changed to the layer style palette. I don't remember getting it on version 5/5.5 so I don't think it is an issue with XP/Vista. It used to kill Windows 98 though.

Rather than trying to disable the help (not sure thats even possible without knowing the inner workings of PS and the registry, perhaps?) I would recommend just going with the flow - Get to task manager ASAP and get ready to do a messy kill of chrome if possible, save your work and reboot. There have been a few occasions when I couldn't do even that after ignoring it and carrying on with work and I regretted not rebooting everytime.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Hey thanks for the replies guys! glad to hear its wide spread. Didn't we have a resident Adobe & Photoshop guy lurking around? Not that he'd want to get thrown to the lions - but this seems like a problem that has been throughout many revisions of photoshop, and could possibly something to look at fixing for future patches/releases is possible! I'd <3.

I'm going to try that fix at home Dado. I can't think of why i wouldn't be able to turn off internet connectivity with PS, but i think there has to be *something* useful that uses it :)

This problem used to occur nearly every day for me while using CS3, however its super rare these days with 64bit CS4. This is the first time its happened in a few months actually, which historically speaking is pretty good - but it was a bad one, where photoshop was rendered unusable by the problem, not allowing me to focus on the application. I've had my help button unbound for ages too, and i use all the F keys for actions, so somethin else must be amiss.

nullfed: i've rarely rebooted for PS issues, but could give it a go. I frequently get the "cant import clipboard" bug/feature(??), which a restart of PS always fixes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It happened to me once in CS2, 32bit Vista with chrome. Freaked me the hell out, thought I did something wrong or it was a crazy virus. Everything scanned ok and I restarted, it never happened again, then two weeks later I got a new machine 64bit vista, and upgraded to CS4 and started using firefox again. It hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood. It's been 3mo.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    The clipboard bug is another old chestnut :] I have only had it once on a work machine a few jobs ago and If I remember right, the registry fix did sort it out:

something like this I think:
    http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/09/05/how-to-fix-the-photoshop-clipboard/

If you search 'photoshop clipboard bug' you should find confirmation that it works before you try it - my memory is a bit hazy on that one!
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    This happened to me once during an art test, ended up losing a bit of work...that was not a fun experience. It seemed like any time I clicked within the PS window it would trigger 9 or 10 windows once the initial window avalanche started, preventing me from saving anything I was working on. I found this thread at the adobe forums saying its either a "system wide shortcut" or triggered by low memory: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1657629

When it happened I also remember seeing something about it being triggered by the color picker but I couldn't find the page I saw it on.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, this happens too often. actually happened at work today. it gets so bad, sometimes it opens over 100 windows
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    been away from this for a bit... forgot to check updates!

From what i can recall, the only thing that set it off was opening up layer properties. I use a hotkey for it, and dont double click layers. There is no solid repro anywhere that i have found, just annoying :)
  • makebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simple work-around that works for me since PS 7.

First uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types", if you don't know how (read here)

For CS 5 and CS 4, locate and rename "Program Files Folder\Adobe\Adobe Help\Adobe Help.exe" to "Adobe Help2.exe", then create a dummy file (text file). Rename dummy file to "Adobe Help.exe".

For older version CS 3 (that use only browser to view offline help) and below, just rename the "Adobe Help" or "Help" folder to something else.