Home Technical Talk

Texturing question

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
Hi PC people.

I have a question concerning applying textures ones you have all the UVs laid out. Basically here is my scenario:

1. I create a prop (eg a vertical brick wall).
2. Make the low poly and lay out the UVs.
3. Save out the UV layout sized as 512x512
4. I got some textures from the net (already sized at 512x512)
5. If I apply the texture the way it is on Photoshop to match the UVs, the rendered image often comes out blurry. Is it due to not using proper scaled models?

I know that resizing the images to small amounts like 128x128 and then tilling it across the UVs and getting rid of the seems should do it but why wouldn't the matched sized texture and UVs work of the first time I apply it.

I am probably not explaining myself well so I apologize for that, but I am trying to get hold of tutorials/books on how to apply textures the right way.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    What software are you rendering in?

It could be texture filtering. In Maya, there are filtering options in the file texture node properties as well as in the render settings that you'd want to drop down.
  • nick2730
    screenshot could help too, you may be describing a different problem
  • Fireflights
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    It sounds like what Axios is mentioning...but yeah, a screenshot might help
  • tekmatic
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I use both Max and Maya....but the issue is not with a particular model that I am working on but rather I see this generally with my texturing work. I will try to add some screen shots tonight from home since we are being blocked from uploading images at work.

But I was more interested to know if there is a particular method / workflow that is sort of established to use pre-existing textures and apply them onto the UV layouts in photoshop to get the best resolution that corresponds to the UV texture size that was generated from the 3d app.

Axios: I will look into the option you mentioned to be in Maya.
  • gsokol
    What do your uv's look like? Are you talking about tiling a texture on an object?
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I believe axios nailed it on the head.. Depending on how close you are to the object will depend on what your filter type needs to be set to. It's automatically set to Quadratic, try turning it to off and see if that makes it look better. My bets are it will.