Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Realistic Street Scene

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BigErn polycounter lvl 11
I have been working SOLID on this over the last week. Wanting to improve Environment skills to try and land this elusive job, I have high aims, so have to try for high quality. Just a few more updates since posting in the 'working on' thread.

I plan on getting to grips with the rest of the envion as the building, although the major feature, will be in the background of the little scene I am thinking about. The building was actually going to be the Liver Building, Liverpool. It might still be, but it was so ambitious, I scaled back the idea to just the lower section, and today have just been going off on an artistic spur, just to make something nice looking.

As I`m new to this env area, please give some help, as I need it. :poly122:

bld1.jpg
By bigern77 at 2010-08-09

bld2.jpg

bld3.jpg

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work! Couple things.

There's a hole in your 2nd level balcony trim (the small one) and doesn't look like it's clipped to the wall. Also, the bricks could present some stronger normals in my opinion as it it appear very very shallow (either that or just darken the lines in the diffuse).

The corners of your building is very sharp as well, don't be afraid to chamfer them if they have tiling repeating over. The streetlamp appears to be unfinished as well (smoothing at the lamp) and textures.

Looking good otherwise!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work so far.

I agree with Kaburan about the bricks appearing very shallow.

Also, right above the first floor, the ornamental pillar things with the lion head are clipping into the corner of the building. I don't know if that is how it would be in real life, but it seems a bit odd to me.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with all the post above. The building definitely looks good, but all the suggestions above would definitley help it along. I'd also say break up the flatness of the building by putting awnings or other pieces.
  • pitman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A great start here.

I would say breaking up the building and the ground with some grime/dirt decals, not to harsh but enough the break up the bricks and the ground. and like kaburan said the overall model looks good i would chamfer those edges though.

Lookin good :)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Really effective set up, but it's time to weather it up a bit, the window stills for one would have some weathering and streaks coming down from the window frames but you may be working on those already.

One way you can bring out the bricks would be pushing out some of the bricks to give it some more parallax and variety. You can paint some highlights and edges for that too.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    whats up with the color scheme? Seems all washed out and monochrome for me..like there's a reddish tint over everything.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    whats up with the color scheme? Seems all washed out and monochrome for me..like there's a reddish tint over everything.

yea, i'm guessing thats a post process effect of marmoset. I would suggest something that better displays your models/textures.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    It's not a side effect of marmoset, that reddish tint must have been put there on purpose in the post effects. I agree with the others that it isn't very desirable though.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    awesome! love every bit of it!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback! Its true that I have messed with Marmoset to give it some sort of 'look' I`ll keep messing, or remove it all together ;) it might not be the best approach, as I see now ( after sleep ) that its a little strangely coloured heh. I will work on the normals and trying to break up the flat look! I`ll keep weathering also and get on with breaking up the flat environment, which i have cleverly hidden so far ;)

The details 'clipping' into the building is a result of making things up a little, and not following exactly how the original building was made, I can see why it looks odd, and I`ll think about changing it to fix that.

Thanks again!
  • [Deleted User]
    I really wouldn't bother messing around with postpro stuff until you're actually done with the asset, this weird red cast is just making it impossible to crit atm
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, I will keep post off for a while. :)bld4.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-08-10
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    That's coming along really nicely! I like post processing with color balance, reminds me of photography, but it's much easier to see the WIP this way. I agree that some chamfering might help, along with some more grime decals. The corner areas in particular would be a nice place to add some variation in color and dirt. The single windows all seem to be using the same window texture, maybe you could switch them up with the other two from the set of three and flip them for more variety. Also, that is some greeeen grass.

Just a couple thoughts, it's a really cool building.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Thats looking really nice!!

one thing to keep in mind, is that if you are going to use post, and a specific ligthing set up. You may want to turn that on now, so that you dont suffer from having to go back into your textures later on and change that. Just a thought.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah great work my only crit would be maybe add a little detail to the corners like bumping out the stone other wise looks great
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, thanks for the replies and help! I will get onto a lot of the things mentioned. Something to break up the repetition of textures, and the flat look of the building I`ll do for sure! I have been working a little on the area in front. I`m not happy with the roads and greeeen grass, so will be looking to reconstruct that with something with plants and trees, just to give it a nice feel. Want to do something nice with the water, and maybe include either some steps or a boat, or both, or neither! :) which ever I feel. I should have mentioned my goal is something GTA looking. So I dont think they do that many polys or normal maps on the building, it wont stop me, but I`ll not be going for anything crazy in term of poly details. Just enough to sell it. Might have to do a couple of background buildings, but thats good practice for me!

Latest test :
    bld6.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-08-11
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, I have been busy reworking the front of the building. Just popped in some temp trees just for effect. Have gone with the new development look which most citys seem to do these days, but I like it along side the old dock wall and cobbles. A lot of things are still to do, and a load of things on view need smoothing fixing, normal map doing correctly, and fixing spec maps etc.. so its a mixed bag of WIP.

bld7.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-08-12
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the grass is too green and too... perfect nect to the coblestone road. it looks like golf grass. try making it look less perfect.

also, make the windows reflect the skydome (not real time, obviously)

cant wait t see more!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good, looking forward to it completed!

Sort out your saturations and the windows such as rooster said and your on your way :)
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. :D My advice is to do something about the windows and water. Just seems to plain and flat. :/ Also, your background image seems to stretch on the lower left area. That suppose to happen'?
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys., I know the grass is rather green and flat :D will make things less perfect once I have finished the mesh. Needs a polish on all tex and normals especially. I`ll work on the windows and water.

Bishop : yea the sky is stretching because its just a Marmoset sky, I`ll prolly replace that at some point with my own skybox/ball.

More to come as I get time.!

ps. Anyone know if its possible to get realtime reflections in the Marmoset engine? They did it in the game, Darkest of Days.... so just thought it might be possible in engine? My guess is they used some clever code instead. :/
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! I like your building and its a nice scene. Though I have som crits.

Here is a paintover.

esaf.jpg
    esaf.jpgesaf.jpg
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still working on this :), its now looking a bit more like this : 29292_1282067016_large.jpg

and its night time for the time being. I`ll do a day/night one as its closer to being done. Missing lampposts/lights other buildings, and some other street signs etc.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good, maybe you should give it a try in the UDK or CryEngine aswell sometime in the future just to weigh the end results.

Liking where it's at, but try to render it without the sky and street ending nowhere, kind of kills off the believability factor.
  • aajohnny3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny3d null
    Beautiful. I think the grass should get more attention.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the grass might need more work, and extra flowers and stuff. I have bigger problems getting the rest of the street done ;/ did the new building(s) and will have to make another one tomorrow. I have loads to do and 4 days left with the Marmoset engine before the end of the trial.

screenshot9rh.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-08-18
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and a night shot..... Marmoset really doesnt like 8 lights :/

screenshotnight.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-08-18
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lighting is better is your last shot... but why are those lights on the main building pointed upwards and there is no light source...
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duxun wrote: »
    lighting is better is your last shot... but why are those lights on the main building pointed upwards and there is no light source...

well the main reason is the fact that I am pretty much burning out trying to get this scene done, and setup in Marmoset, it isnt really a level editor, more of a obj viewer, so anything missing, although not an excuse is down to having SO much to do :poly122: I have done more since, but will still be missing a light source, I`ll have to hide them cleverer :poly124: