Home Technical Talk

UV set help!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
Ive built my low poly but when i click high quality my comp goes really really slowly

Im pretty sure its because of my uv sets

help.jpg

is there any way around this? or how to fix it?

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Make sure 'Assign shader to each projection" is unticked under the 'create UVs' menu and make sure the 'Create new uv set" is unticked in the projection windows.
    You'll want to consolidate those multiple uv sets into one uv set, less it'll send the draw calls through the roof for a single asset.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See both of those things were unchecked!

Could you please tell me how to consolidate the UV's into one set?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Not a regular maya user, but i think you'll have to copy and paste each uv set until there all on one map, then delete the remaining uv sets. Tedious work!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't suppose you know how to do that?

Thank you for the help already though :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Try the Copy and Paste functions under the UV Editor. Check the help on how to use it.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hang on... there are all on one map? Map 1?

If i merge the meshes then the list disappears, but i want to try and make the list disappear with all my meshes as separate if that makes sense?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Then just use the delete uv set function to get rid of the remaining uv sets.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't delete the remaining sets?

on the UV editor it only shows map 1?

i hate maya :(
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    If it only shows map 1, then that object only has one uv set. Try going through each separate object and make sure they only have one uv set each. If thats how it is now, thts fine, however when you export, you'll want to make sure that only a single shader is assigned to the objects so each piece references the same material, less you'll end up with a separate material for each object and thats not what you want.

Another way would be to combine your objects to a single object, this will also merge all your uvs to a single uv set.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeha its just it was properly slowing down my computer when i put it in high quality mode. Ive had this problem before but if they are all on map1 there is no way around it because they are all separate objects right?

See i didnt want to merge them all yet because i need to bake ao and normals from each separate piece?

I seem to have solved it by hiding some stuff and assigning everything to a new uvset. Im not sure what ive done but my comp isnt running slowly any more so i guess it will have to do.

so there is no way to have merged uvs with separate objects?

Thank you very much for the help though :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    SaferDan wrote: »
    so there is no way to have merged uvs with separate objects?

Aslong as the objects use the same shader then you should be able to have separate objects and have them grouped in the uv editor.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    You only have one UV-set (map1) but you have several objects selected, that's why that list is so long.

High Quality view is really (!) slow with multiple objects, especially if you have a big texture. Even if every object have the same material.

Try merging your objects (if you can) and you will notice an increase in performance.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    High Quality view is really (!) slow with multiple objects, especially if you have a big texture. Even if every object have the same material.

Try merging your objects (if you can) and you will notice an increase in performance.

Well thats a bit rubbish! Some needs to fix that! I needed all of them separate to bake normals and AO from after ive done that then ill merge it all together.

Ark what do you mean by the same shader? The same material?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    yep I know, it's frustrating! but what exactly is it that you are doing that you need HQ rendering for? I would guess it's texturing, and for that you could just save another scene with it merged to work on the textures, since the UV:s would be the same.... maybe....
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the only real reason was to preview my normals after each bake, but id already test baked everything its just to be sure, a bit of OCD i guess.

but yeah like i said someone needs to fix it!