Homeโ€บ General Discussion

Torchlight 2

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exciting stuff. Absolutely loved the first game.

Although let's hope its release doesn't coincide with another certain dungeon crawler which may or may not be released next year too, that'd be some hefty competition.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    That is awesome, the first Torchlight went completely under my radar when it was released. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and have been playing the crap out of it. I'm looking forward to Diablo III too, but in all honesty I'll probably pick up both regardless.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. So glad they are following up versus going for the MMORPG they are heading towards. Dont like MMOs. As for the other dungeon crawler. I'm boycotting Activision until a certain head GTFO.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hope nobody missed that they're going to have COOP in this sequel.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    And what happens with the mmo?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    nice!

though, i do really hope they change the enchanting system.. i personally hated the fact that the best weapons and armour in the game came from enchanting. the best should come from the hardest bosses. that one thing ruined the first game for me. LOVED it, and played the hell outta it, but once i realized you could create a badass weapon from the basic crap drops, i stopped playing.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, I loved Torchlight. Their next generation of tool should be great!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Yay! Something to look forward to.
  • eld
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice! I was kinds looking forward to some sort of mini mmo, coop does sound nice but I dont have many mates locally that play games.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    oh heeelllzzz yuh!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    WOW! The first one was wow. But this one is WOW. Looks fantastic. Definitely one I'm looking forward to this next year.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    omg, fantastic. Skeletal war-bear is so badass.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    nice!

though, i do really hope they change the enchanting system.. i personally hated the fact that the best weapons and armour in the game came from enchanting. the best should come from the hardest bosses. that one thing ruined the first game for me. LOVED it, and played the hell outta it, but once i realized you could create a badass weapon from the basic crap drops, i stopped playing.

Yeah, the enchanting system is a bit annoying. Seems everytime I get a decent unique/epic drop and I attempt to enchant it to equal the stats of my piece of junk blue piece, the bastards screws up and hands me back a unique/epic piece with no stats. Even worse is when I walk up to him with 20k and attempt to chant something and walk away with nothing as 5 consecutive chant attempts fail.

Co-op alone has got me giddy for two.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta get me some Undead Bear action :poly124:

I had very little intrest in a full-on mmo, but co-op by itself sounds awesome.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! and the fact that it has co-op will probably be enough for me to buy it, sadly i did not purchase Torchlight 1.
  • Kilkus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kilkus polycounter lvl 15
    Sweeeeet! Just got round to playing the first game, can't believe its slipped under my radar. I'll be grabbing this one on release :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    torchlight-2-ezrohir1.jpg

fucking. awesome.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    damn, those enemy concepts looks really nice! simple but very nice!

the characters are less cool, though.

Big thumbs up for them!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    My balls exploded. True story.
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice loved the 1st one best 10 bucks or wat ever i spent in a while,.. multiplayer.. looks ommggg, the environments look nicer too
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm. that's some sweet Franchina concept art, yo. Can't wait!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    This is SUCH a fun fucking game dev cycle to be a part of. Kurtis - Mike is knocking it out of the park on this one.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The new trailer looks really amazing Matabus!! I'm super stoked! My interest in the first one kind of peetered out after a while, the MP addition will definitely keep me playing! Love all the new art and look, plus the MP! yay!

cool shit!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the first one, but there was no replay value when playing alone. I'm definitely amped about co-op in Torchlight 2, and the art looks amazing as usual.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Loved the first one, this should be lots of fun!
    What's the word on how the multiplayer is gonna work, will there be a battle.net type system to avoid rampant cheating?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Bal wrote: ยป
    Loved the first one, this should be lots of fun!
    What's the word on how the multiplayer is gonna work, will there be a battle.net type system to avoid rampant cheating?

I dont think there'll be any bigger anticheat system in place, considering you'll be able to mod the fuck out of the game even in multiplayer.

So it's focused more on having a coop experience with friends, not random douchebags.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's concept artist/environment artist on this one? :) I'd love to see their portfolios/blogs and fill my inspirations folder with awesomeness.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I played Torchlight till level 90, lost my saves and didn't touch it since. Recently started playing again, it's still damn fun. Really looking forward to this one, the music does a great job of keeping me in :D
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Is it wrong to be more attracted to this game then Diablo 3? Don't get me wrong, they both look awesome, but I almost feel like I'll be taking a step backwards after playing torchlight, especially with a multiplayer edition coming.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Anyone play the Beta? I didnt get a chance. I've been playing D3 a lot, but man, I am looking forward to this game. If they fixed the things I didnt like about the first one, I will most definitely be dropping d3 for it. Already preordered the 4 pack on steam to support the devs.

Things I hope they`ve fixed.

-Difficulty: it was waaay too easy
    -Loot: your enchanted white items were better than the rare drops from bosses. I haaated that. The best loot should always come from the hardest / rarest mobs. I love how you can find all the best stuff in D3 on the champions / rare monsters. And those little treasure pigmys. But, the loot itself isnt the greatest.
    -the enchanting system: You become way too OP way too quickly.

I personally LOVE the art style of TL2 way more than D3. From the sounds of it, they`ve improved every aspect of the TL2. Which is awesome. I can't wait to play it. Especially multiplayer!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVcsv3XWIAg"]Revisiting Torchlight 2 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Already had this pre-ordered, managed to get a beta key and it was great, love how everything just explodes upon death! :D
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    I've been lucky enough to spend some time playing the beta for this, and I have to say... phenomenal game!! It's SUPER polished in beta, zero bugs. My first go I planned to play for an hour and ended up playing for 4. The feel of combat is great...hits feel powerful and responsive. This is often the rarest thing to get right...TL2 nailed it imo. Art is polished and looks beautiful, animations too. There's subtlety there that kinda blew my mind. Honestly feel this game is a bargain for what you get.

The only tiny crit i have (and people will probably call me crazy) is that, while the music is really awesome, it just doesnt feel right for the game's aesthetic. It's just too close to diablo, feels too dark. TL really isnt as dark as the music wants to make it seem. Matt Uelmen is a legend, dont get me wrong, but it just seems out of place to me.

Minor point though...naturally. The game rules, go buy it
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've played the 4 classes through the beta. It's a lot of fun. I agree, Chaos, about the music. My other crit is so much gets lost on the screen. Even in low action mobs sometime just disappear in the environment as there isn't a palette distinction between them and the world. Still have a lot of fun playing it, and would like to play with a legit group on release to get a better understanding of group dynamics. Seems like everything is out to DPS except the engineer which can tank or heal, maybe.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Been playing the beta on lunch breaks at work. It's super fun, and this is coming from someone who thought Diablo 2 was boring as hell.

The animations are really smooth, the combat feels extremely responsive and I absolutely love that enemies literally explode if you get a critical hit on them. The environments look top-notch as well, though you guys are right that things do get a bit crazy and unreadable when there are too many baddies onscreen.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I'll group up with all of you when it releases. I wish I got to try the beta.... I`ve been watching some videos. That first boss, the general grell guy. Oh man. Awesome. And they have boss chests as well as boss drops? wow.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I played a ton of the beta, f'ing love it. The classes are super fun, unique, and cool! Super stoked for this, and moding it!!!

hope the editor is less crashy? :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Soooooooooo, after playing Diablo 3 I am VERRYY much pumped to get my hands on Torchlight 2.

Now I know this is all based on opinion, but straight up, is Torchlight 2 better than Diablo 3?
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Comparing the betas (which is all I've got to go on so far) I found Torchlight 2 to be superior to Diablo 3 in almost every regard, including gameplay, graphics (I found Torchlight 2's art a lot cleaner and nicer to look at) and music (which is a given with Matt Uelman doing the music). As someone who has been playing these types of games since the first Diablo, I really feel like Torchlight 2 is the game fans of Diablo and Diablo 2 would prefer.

I personally can't wait for this game to come out.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I have been having a blast playing Diablo III, and I did get to play the Torchlight II beta and I am really looking forward to it. I am ready to pre-load it and everything. I wouldn't go as far as to say its better than Diablo III, but its really good (Personal opinion) :)
  • Leodido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved the first one and I guess I'll have to give this one a go.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Soooooooooo, after playing Diablo 3 I am VERRYY much pumped to get my hands on Torchlight 2.

Now I know this is all based on opinion, but straight up, is Torchlight 2 better than Diablo 3?

I didn't have high hopes for the beta of this game, the videos I saw looked slow and boring, and the original i felt was a bit overhyped with poor skill trees and skill selection in combat (only 2 skills at a time) that led to repetitive combat as well as items that weren't as exciting or well tuned as diablo 2's.

But the beta is totally off the wall awesome. Imagine diablo 2 skill trees if they took at all the fluff and added several variants of your favorites. The skills also build on each other in interesting ways, some reduce damage output of enemies, some lifetap, some bolster your damage. It's setup such that no skill is underpowered, just different. Only half the skill trees are visible right now but they are very potent and ramp up immediatly. There are a couple gripes i have though, many skills don't scale well especially with their mana cost (some become less effective in terms of damage to mana). Secondly, and this is common in rpgs, you don't know where the skill is going to end up at max level. Does the damage scale very high? or does the utility take over its usefulness? It'd be great to know what the skill stats are at max level before dumping stats that cant be respec'd after level 10.

To answer your question: It's debatable. If you want a hack and slash where you're getting crazy ass items by level 5 and insane skills that push the boundaries of the genre, even at the risk of the game balance going a bit wacky, Torchlight 2 seems to be your game.

If you want insane polish, the best graphics, cutscenes, etc. in the industry, and are a big fan of blizzard, Diablo 3 is your game. The loading screens are also better. (and if you'd rather spend your time in an auction house finding the best items than playing, this is your game, har har)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The more I find out about this game, the more I want it NOW.

There is easy, normal, vertern and elite difficulty. Each one, every time you beat the game, it increases the difficulty of that specific setting. Think borderlands playthrough 1, playthrough 2. You beat it once, then the second time, all the monsters were stronger and harder and dropped better stuff. Same with this. if you play on elite, then beat it, they call it new game +. It increases the level and difficulty of all monsters. and you get better drops.

First playthrough should get you to around level 50, and there are 100 levels. After playthrough 1, each playthrough gets you about 20 levels, or so it's said.

Hell....Yes.....
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Btw, I have 4 torchlight 1's waiting to be gifted, if anyone would like one. I pre-ordered the 4 pack of TL2 (for me and 3 friends), and it came with 4 copies of TL1 as well, so Im giving the TL1 copies away.

slipsius at g mail for steam
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I really cannot wait for this. I originally owned it on Steam and then I bought it aain for Xbox. Plus its good to see how much they've expanded upon the original with all the new fun little features. Got my eye on the Engineer class at the moment.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I could never really get into the first one... but this one seems a little more solid, and i like that Matt Uelman did the OST. I'll have to spend some time on the first one to just finish it, but D3 just has me trapped. hehe