Home Technical Talk

photoshop fill tool

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Ok Ive been using photoshop for years and the fill tool has always worked the same, you fill the object and if its all the same colour it works and if theres some soft edges you may need to play with the tolerance to get it right. But now is CS5 no matter what I do it fills the object with hard colour all the way to the edges and leaves no soft curves but instead creates horrible scratchy hard edges :( whats going on? anyone know where to find the option to fix this?

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anti-alias on?

Otherwise, I'm not sure I get what you mean. Can you post images to clarify?
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Yep me too, even with anti-alias on. :poly142:

edit: I'm still using CS3
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    PS sucks in so many ways! They should stop implementing 3D features and go back to rework basic stuff. And they should stop to make it half as fast as it was a version before.

on topic: sorry i just use cs4 :,(
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    sorry i'm on cs3 aswell. mode ? tolerance ?
    imo, using the paint bucket tool isn't the right way to fill objects, because it slightly encroaches stuff around. I'm using layers with lock transparent pixels on, then fill it with alt+del.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    heres 2 pics one with the green is a shape drawn with the lasso tool, the one in pink is filled with the fill tool and has the scratchy edges that I always seem to get in cs5 even with the settings shown(which always worked well in the past).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    anyone know whats going on here? thanks for all the replies anyway

Noors, using the fill tool with transparency locked seems to fix all these problems thank you! I still dont understand why, I mean I never used to have this issue with the fill tool before CS5
  • mayaterror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    sorry i'm on cs3 aswell. mode ? tolerance ?
    imo, using the paint bucket tool isn't the right way to fill objects, because it slightly encroaches stuff around. I'm using layers with lock transparent pixels on, then fill it with alt+del.

Yes, yes, yes - the Paint Bucket is total horseshit meant for MS Paint users :poly124:- use Alt-Backspace to fill with Foreground Color and Ctrl-Backspace to fill with Background Color. (or Alt-Delete/Ctrl-Delete).

Haven't tried CS5 yet so I haven't encountered this problem personally, but I don't think I would have ever encountered it because I only use the PS paint bucket for sprite drawing.