Home Technical Talk

Character Confusion

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hi guys, first of all sorry for the beginner question..hehh..
Anyway I wanna ask about the workflow that's common in doing a low poly character work from the high poly one. So let say this character wear a jeans that you build on top of a "nude" generic model. After you put up the jeans on him, what did you do on the leg inside? Delete it or not having one right from the beginning or just let it be there?

If you gonna delete the stuff inside, how to hide the seams between the 2 separate mesh?

I know, when I read this post back it sounds easy question, but when I do this kind of work, it makes me confuse :poly132:

Thanks in advance for any explanation.

_Revel

Replies

• disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    You could delete the leg inside but dont delete it just at the border where the jeans are reaching up to. Delete it a little bit below it so then you will have no seam to worry about
    , or if it is not in your way somehow just let it be. When you build the lowpoly on top of all of that there should be no problems at all.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'd delete the legs if they aren't needed. From there you could either leave it as is (possibly cap off the border edges if the engine wants water-tight meshes) so that you can allow randomization/customization if you have more than one pair of pants or shirts. If it's just one outfit that wont be swapped, you could merge and weld the two.

Don't worry about seams; your skin doesn't seamlessly blend into jeans in real life.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hrmm...true..guess I just need the confirmation from others though.
    Thanks for the help guys~

_Revel
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cryrid wrote: »
    Don't worry about seams; your skin doesn't seamlessly blend into jeans in real life.

I lol'd, but this is very true.