Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anthony Bourdain portrait

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
So as a little project I wanted to model a head. The head of whom? Anthony Bourdain that who.
tony_front.jpg

This was basically meant to be just practice for modeling a head, nothing will be done with this except for texturing and I may try to learn how to use Hair in Maya.

Here's his head. It's basically done, I need to go in and smooth a few areas before I start texturing. Anyone have any good links to Maya Hair tutorials? Anyone suggest I try and model the hair myself?

Obviously critiques are welcome!
Screenshot2010-07-28at73350PM.png
Screenshot2010-07-28at73337PM.pngScreenshot2010-07-28at73326PM.png

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a decent start, can you add a shot without the wires? they're a little distracting when trying to see the likeness.

it looks like you've got a heck of a lot of geometry with not a lot of surace variation going on. especially in the ears and eye's.

I don't know the names of the facial muscles, but the one that goes from the nose (some kinda Levator), to the cheeks, and around the mouth needs to be reworked. they you have the edgeloops right now they are starting at his eyes, and coming down and around his mouth to his jaw, but if you look more closely at your photo ref, it should start along the top of his nose, and come down around his mouth and into the bottom of his chin.

there's an animated version of this floating around somewhere but it's my favourite source for facial setup in terms of edgeflow vs anatomy:
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/proper%20edge%20flow%20for%20a%20head/Monkey_Knife_Fight/EdgeLoop1.jpg
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    the biggest thing that stands out to me anatomically is the way the neck comes out at such a hard angle from the back of the skull, it should flow a bit better.